Should I upgrade to Lion? And why?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Philflow, Jul 22, 2011.

?

Should I upgrade to Lion? And why?

1. Yes because of all the features

14 vote(s)
    48.3%
  2. Yes because it runs better

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  3. Yes, for other reasons (please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No, if you're happy there's no need to upgrade

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  5. No, the features are no bonus for your usage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No, other reasons

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Philflow macrumors 65816

I'm running OS X 10.6.8 on my MBP 2011 and am totally happy with it. I'm a simple user: some surfing with Chrome, watching videos with VLC, some Office 2011 that's about it.

I've heard Lion brings upgrades to mail and touchpad. I don't use Apple mail, I use Gmail online instead. For the touchpad I only use the simple features.

I don't use stuff like expose etc.

Do you think I should upgrade? Or should I just stay with what works for me.

If you think I should upgrade, why?

2. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Ultimately, I would recommend upgrading to Lion. I would, however, advise to wait a month or two before doing so. Allow Apple and other users work out most of the quirks before jumping aboard. Also, go to System Profiler/Software>Applications and see if you have any PowerPC applications (sort by "Kind") - those will not work under Lion, so you'll have to find a replacement.

3. Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

Mate, I voted for staying with what you're happy.

Having said that, for your computer use habits (very similar to mine), Lion is also a superb OS... I believe that if you did upgrade you'd also be happy with Lion. Also, Lion does seem faster...

Ultimately, it is a personal choice... (I know it is not very helpful as you are trying to "form" the decision on the personal choice :) ).

4. Philflow thread starter macrumors 65816

Well I think I'm not upgrade in the near future but maybe someone can convince me :)

gorskiegangsta, that sounds like good advice I think I'll wait a bit.

Typswif2fingers, thanks for your input too.

5. eljanitor macrumors 6502

eljanitor

6. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

If you only use that kind of stuff, I would upgrade to lion for the speed bump if anything else. I find everything much quicker than on SL. I think the new features of lion are useful, and I really like the small UI changes. But there's no rush to upgrade now if you don't want to

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

I put no. From what I'm reading here, there are some problems that people are having due to the Lion upgrade. I also don't like the uh... mission control instead of Expose.

I haven't used it yet but I'm hoping I don't have to until the bugs get worked out.

8. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

If you're the type that likes to change it up every once in a while then yes go for it. I use my laptop for mostly the same reasons u do and I'm loving lion! But I do use mail, launchpad etc

9. harrisondavies macrumors 6502

harrisondavies

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

now if everyone waited to jump aboard it'd take years to iron out all the kinks. go for it, faster, leaner, more secure...most up to date, u can't lose

10. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

If you have a trackpad, yes absolutely.
    If not then it's really up to you, I know a few people who don't and hate it. Everybody I know that has a trackpad and upgraded loves it.

11. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

With over 1 million downloads already, and with the fact that many (soon to be all) new Macs already ship with Lion, I'd hardly think it'll be a problem.

12. Philflow thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

I've decided to wait for a while. My friend uses it so I will give it a test ride and see if I like it enough.

13. adrian1480 macrumors 6502