Should I upgrade to Mavericks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by skier777, Sep 28, 2014.

1. skier777 macrumors 6502

I have a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) that is currently running OSX 10.8.5 and im wondering if i will run into any issues if i upgrade the software to 10.9.

What benefits will it offer and what issues if any will I have. Essentially is there good reason for me to upgrade.

This is a list of the applications i have on my machine. Will there be problems with a lot of my software?

iWeb
    Rhinoceros
    iPhoto
    Steam
    iTunes
    Firefox
    Google Chrome
    GarageBand
    iMovie
    PS3 Media Server
    Chopper 2
    Rosetta Stone Version 3
    Evernote
    VLC
    Kindle
    Music Manager
    SimCity 2000
    iDVD
    Google Earth
    Last.fm
    Google Drive
    Microsoft Communicator
    Gephi
    Spotify
    Dragon Dictate
    StuffIt Expander
    Mail
    Preview
    Wunderlist
    iSkysoft iMedia Converter
    SpeedUpMac
    Calendar
    Miro Video Converter
    Bitcoin-Qt
    QuickTime Player
    Skype_old
    Delicious Library 2
    MakerWare
    Sublime Text 2
    Contacts
    MakerWare for Digitizer
    DVD Player
    Photo Booth
    Font Book
    HandBrake
    Automator
    Ringer
    Climate Consultant 5.4
    Remote Desktop Connection
    dupeGuru
    RescueTime
    iSquint
    Armagetron Advanced
    Chess
    Reminders
    TextEdit
    Notes
    Razer Synapse 2.0
    FaceTime
    Fitbit Connect
    CCleaner
    Little Snitch Configuration
    SoundCloud Downloader
    Calculator
    MindNode Lite
    iHomework
    uTorrent
    Android File Transfer
    KeyRemap4MacBook
    Dictionary
    App Store
    System Preferences
    DVDTheque
    Game Center
    LineIn
    Typist
    Amazon MP3 Downloader
    BitTorrent Sync
    Alfred
    Stickies
    InsomniaX
    Image Capture
    Windows Live Sync
    Adobe Media Player
    BetterSnapTool
    iProcrastinate
    Time Machine
    Mission Control
    smcFanControl
    MixMeister BPM Analyzer
    Gmote
    Launchpad
    Dashboard
    PdaNetMac
    RightZoom
    Xbench
    Kindle to PDF
    Flight Control HD
    Microsoft Silverlight
    Catan-galen
    3Dconnexion
    Adobe
    Adobe Acrobat X Pro
    Adobe After Effects CS6
    Adobe Bridge CS6
    Adobe Dreamweaver CS6
    Adobe Extension Manager CS6
    Adobe Flash Builder 4.6
    Adobe Flash CS6
    Adobe Illustrator CS6
    Adobe InDesign CS6
    Adobe Media Encoder CS6
    Adobe Photoshop CS6
    Adobe Reader 9
    Audacity
    Autodesk
    Brother
    Google SketchUp 7
    Google SketchUp 8
    GoPro
    iWork '09
    MAXON
    Microsoft Office 2011
    Native Instruments
    Soundflower
    Toast 10 Titanium
    Utilities
    Wacom Tablet

Thanks in advance

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

My thoughts, random order.

On a 2010-vintage MacBook, if you're going to upgrade to Mavericks, you ought to be thinking "SSD", as well.

You -may- find yourself greatly disappointed with Mavericks on an HDD-based computer, insofar as "speed" is concerned.

I also recommend a CarbonCopyCloner backup on an external drive. This way, if you aren't happy with the OS upgrade, you can just boot from the external drive and "re-clone" it's contents back to your internal drive.

Actually, with any SSD, you should -always- have a backup clone available. Whereas HDD's will often give some advance warning of imminent failure, SSD's can often just go.... "POOF!", no recovery possible. Having a CCC (or SuperDuper) backup handy makes the difference between "an easy recovery" and a "difficult one"...

3. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I'd endorse the above: when compared to 10.8, 10.9 made newer Macs a little faster, and older Macs a little slower. I don't know which side of the line your MBP is on – although some here will have had firsthand experience – but an SSD and 8GB of RAM should make a 2010 model feel like a new machine. At a cost, obviously.

Re the application list: I'm sure one or two apps on that list will be rendered a little wobbly, if not completely refuse to run. One thing you always need to look out for is printer support – check the Brother website first.

But... given that 10.10 is supposedly less than a month away, and given the time/effort/stress involved in an OS upgrade, I'd be very much inclined to wait for Yosemite then wait another month or so for the problems (both general and model-specific) to be identified and ironed out. Just think of all those lovely new iOS8 features you'll be missing out on if you're running 10.9!

4. skier777 thread starter macrumors 6502

I've been thinking about it, so maybe they come hand in hand. Thoughtful advice about making a backup, thanks.

----------

Is it optimized for an SSD? Or is it about the other hardware as well. I have 8GB in already which I believe is maxed out, but I'm waiting for SSD prices to really fall.

I don't need 10.10, I just need 10.9 for FCPX. I wait as long as I can to upgrade OS's typically, since each iteration eliminates some of the functionality i'm accustomed to in exchange for a lot of features I tend to not use.

5. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

You should definitely "buy" Mavericks in the store right now, while you still can. Because once Yosemite comes out, you probably won't be able to "purchase" it any more.

6. Eithanius macrumors 65816

Lion and Mountain Lion can still be purchased on the Apple Online Store. However since Mavericks was the first OS to be offered for free since Puma, I'll be inclined to find out how Apple will offer that as a free download on the Online Store if and when they decide to pull that off the MAS...

7. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp