Should I upgrade to Mojave?

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by dcree, Apr 24, 2019.

1. dcree macrumors newbie

I am on Sierra and having no problems except dropping wifi signal. This happens about 8 hours after I've had the computer running, and none of the diagnostics fixes it. Only a restart has helped. This is my work computer, so I am loathe to upgrade unless someone gives me confidence that I won't run into problems.

2. Royksöpp macrumors 6502a

Royksöpp

High Sierra is really stable. That's what I'm currently using on my 2018 MBP.

3. EdwardC macrumors regular

EdwardC

Late '13 iMac and was on High Sierra but finally moved to Mojave a few weeks ago. No problem, very speedy and I would say it is much better at managing RAM usage. I have not had a swap yet since moving to it. The only issue I had was PDF's in preview are now somewhat blurry. Downloaded Foxit PDF and set it as the default reader which solved the blurry PDF issue. Seems like Mojave at the moment is a very solid update.

4. nouveau_redneck macrumors 6502

If you are running Mojave supported hardware, then yes, update unless you have a specific reason not to such as a known rare incompatibility (rare). Always backup first.

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

"This is my work computer, so I am loathe to upgrade unless someone gives me confidence that I won't run into problems."

No one here can do this.
    The only way you will ever KNOW that "you could run into problems", is to try upgrading, then... run into them.

Since it's a work computer, and since it's still running well enough, I'd advise:
    "Stay where you are" -- at least until Mojave "goes final" (final software update).

By then, 10.15 will be out, so you can start worrying about upgrading to that!

6. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

My upgrade was a disaster but now that I'm on Mojave 14.4 it's been really stable. Make sure you have backups of everything.

7. SoCalReviews, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019

SoCalReviews macrumors 6502a

Moving to Mojave could leave you in a desert but for upgrading you should be ok. :D

8. Lee_Bo macrumors regular

Lee_Bo

Do you have an IT person / department, since this is your work computer? I'd get with your IT folks about the wifi issue first. Then see if they suggest the upgrade.

9. TokMok3, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019

TokMok3 macrumors 6502a

Blurry PDF's with Preview App started 3 years ago...

10. mj_ macrumors 6502

mj_

Yes and no.

On the one hand, Mojave is now at 10.14.4 which in the past was considered the sweet spot for upgrading your OS. The general rule of thumb was never to upgrade before the .2 or .3 release at which point most bugs and incompatibilities had been ironed out. However, with Mojave Apple has upped the ante and started introducing new fatal flaws with .3 and .4 release that affected some users without actually fixing previously reported bugs.

On the other hand you might not even be affected by these bugs. It depends on your hardware, your peripherals, the software you are running, etc. You might actually benefit from an update without losing any functionality or experiencing any issues. As @Fishrrman said: there's only one way to find out.