Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WRONG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
Principality of Sealand
Hello Forum, long time no see.
I'm currently using a 2016 15" MBP.
I'm still using Sierra 10.12.6 on it, but I'm wondering if I should upgrade to Mojave, or just stay true to Sierra since "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Apple typically provides security updates for the three most recent version of macOS. When Catalina comes out. Which is soon. Sierra will likely stop receiving security updates. If you want your OS to remain secure. I would update. Although you may want to go ahead and update to Catalina when it is released. Just be sure you no aren't using any 32 bit apps. As Mojave is the last macOS with 32 bit support.

Do go into the App Store and get Mojave now. You don't have to upgrade right away you can just download the installer and quit it when it opens after the download. It'll just make life easier to have it on your account before Catalina comes out. As Apple makes it a pain to find prior versions of macOS.

Not updating the OS also has software support issues. Mostly with programs which are updated frequently like web browsers. Eventually the major browsers will drop Sierra support.

Before upgrading check that all your software (version specific) is compatible with Mojave or Catalina. Also verify any printers or peripherals are compatible. Most will work with Mojave if they worked in Sierra. Catalina is more iffy due to the 64 bit only requirements.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
How is the MBP running now?
Does everything work?
No problems?
Are you happy with "things as they are"?

I have a 2015 MBP that still runs fine on El Capitan.
Because "it still runs fine", I have no plans to upgrade the OS further at this time.

Reactions: madrich

MSastre

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2014
I see no reason not to upgrade to Mojave. I have the latest version on a Mac Pro 5,1 and a 2013 rMBP, plus my wife is running it on her 2017 MBA with no problems on any of them. Suggest backing up your system by cloning your hard drive with SuperDuper or CCC first.

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
For lots of reasons I like to stay current. But even if you don't, you may want to download each of the subsequent OSs for future use. For a few GBs of storage, this expands your options going forward. And in any event, @MSastre has good advice. Many people "stay behind" because of software compatibility and if that's the case you never know what won't work until you get there. Without a clone it may be all but impossible to go back.

Last edited:
Reactions: MSastre and WRONG

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
Hello Forum, long time no see.
I'm currently using a 2016 15" MBP.
I'm still using Sierra 10.12.6 on it, but I'm wondering if I should upgrade to Mojave, or just stay true to Sierra since "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
Use cases aside, I would suggest at least considering migrating to High Sierra in the next few months. Sierra is about to fall out of the security patch cycle.

Apple's policy is to support the latest, and the previous two operating systems. So when Catalina comes out, High Sierra and Mojave will be on security-patch releases, and Sierra will be EOL.

Figured you might appreciate the security perspective. :D

Reactions: Howard2k and WRONG

WRONG

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 7, 2015
Principality of Sealand
Use cases aside, I would suggest at least considering migrating to High Sierra in the next few months. Sierra is about to fall out of the security patch cycle.

Apple's policy is to support the latest, and the previous two operating systems. So when Catalina comes out, High Sierra and Mojave will be on security-patch releases, and Sierra will be EOL.

Figured you might appreciate the security perspective. :D

Yeah security is my only concern, and from what I see Mojave doesn't really have particular features that would make me switch. Maybe High Sierra is the real answer.

Verify apps you use are compatible with Mojave at https://roaringapps.com/

oh, very nice tool, thank you!

Reactions: Howard2k

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
Does everything work?
No problems?

Because "it still runs fine", I have no plans to upgrade the OS further at this time.
Me too! However, I have a 2015 MBA on El Captain.

The reason I hesitate to upgrade is when I had an 2008 MBPro. It was fine with SnowLeopard XOS. I upgraded to Mavericks and the motherboard died. Fortunately, Apple still was servicing my 2008 computers and replaced it for a reasonable fee. When it was returned, I kept SL on it until El Capitan was released. It ran fine later, I sold it.

Last edited:

CoastalOR

macrumors 68040
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
I thought there was a 10.14.7 release.
Where did you get this from?
Catalina will be released the end of Sep. 2019. We are less than 2 months away. I do not see were Apple would fit in a 10.14.7 release unless there is a major problem that needs to be fixed and I have not seen posts on the forum about major issues with 10.14.6.

Reactions: sydneysider88

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I thought there was a 10.14.7 release.
MR generally reports on the various beta releases leading up to a production release. If you start seeing something about 10.14.7 beta, that's your heads up that somethings coming. But in the last couple of major releases, dot-6 has been the last.

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
The reason I hesitate to upgrade is when I had an 2008 MBPro. It was fine with SnowLeopard XOS. I upgraded to Mavericks and the motherboard died. Fortunately, Apple still was servicing my 2008 computers and replaced it for a reasonable fee. When it was returned, I kept SL on it until El Capitan was released. It ran fine later, I sold it.

Mid-2010 MBP 15" here... When I updated from SL to Mavericks, I kept getting random reboots that became predictable and easily reproducible which proves otherwise on SL... Must be something about the codes on Mavericks. Fortunately, I bugged Apple long enough for them to replace my mainboard FOC on my 4th year, way out of AppleCare coverage.

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
I did a full, clean install of Mojave 10.14.6 about three days ago - no Time machine restorations .. I completely re-installed every app I need to use. This install I CCC cloned to my HFS+ Samsung 970 EVO - Security seems tighter in Mail re: Tusted Certificates but apart from that Zero problems so far.

Apple has since released a supplemental update and a new full installer so today I downloaded the updated - ever so slightly larger - full installer and did another full, 100% clean install to a spare ssd which is formatted to APFS. Clean install of my important apps too.

I'll wait a couple of weeks and if satisfied will CCC clone today's install also to a HFS+ spare Samsung 970 EVO.

Reactions: MSastre

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Yeah security is my only concern, and from what I see Mojave doesn't really have particular features that would make me switch. Maybe High Sierra is the real answer.
The one thing to remember about High Sierra is that you'll be in the exact same pickle a year from now because 10.13 will be obsolete with the release of 10.16 in September of 2020.

Personally, if I weren't running 10.13 already I would probably not bother updating to anything less than 10.14 at this point. 10.13 is on the verge of obsolenscence.

Last edited:
Reactions: DPUser

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Does everything work?
No problems?

Good thinking. I have external SSD that have EC, Sierra, HS and Mojave on them and the internal Fusion Drive still have Mountain Lion on it. Believe it or not, ML runs the iMac faster and smoother than any of the others. But then Safari and Chrome are just unusable. Just for fun I DL Waterfox and it does a very very fine job on Mountain Lion. Just to say that if n OS runs so fine on a machine, there may be no reason to rush to an upgrade. BTW, Mojave on an external SSD is the solution for me and it runs pretty fine.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
I did a full, clean install of Mojave 10.14.6 about three days ago - no Time machine restorations .. I completely re-installed every app I need to use. This install I CCC cloned to my HFS+ Samsung 970 EVO - Security seems tighter in Mail re: Tusted Certificates but apart from that Zero problems so far.

Apple has since released a supplemental update and a new full installer so today I downloaded the updated - ever so slightly larger - full installer and did another full, 100% clean install to a spare ssd which is formatted to APFS. Clean install of my important apps too.

I'll wait a couple of weeks and if satisfied will CCC clone today's install also to a HFS+ spare Samsung 970 EVO.

Just wondering, what's the aversion to APFS?
[doublepost=1564791581][/doublepost]I loved 10.12, .13 was meh. .14 has been fantastic on my real and hackintosh machines.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I did a clean install when moving from HS to Mojave (.2)
I’d upgraded from El Cap through Sierra and to High Sierra and was having significant stability problems.

But Mojave has been rock solid. I’m on 10.14.5 though. My experiences with High Sierra made me appreciate stability. I’ll go to 10.14.6 in a few weeks perhaps. Loosely as advised above, I have downloads of various versions of Sierra, High Sierra, and Mojave on file. Just in case. And Time Machine backups so I can roll back if needed.

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
I just migrated my 12 core 5,1 Mac Pro from Sierra to Mojave about two weeks ago. Although getting there was a chore due to firmware updates the Mac Pro required, I am happy to report the machine is running better than ever. The update resolved a bothersome 4k laggy GUI issue I experienced under Sierra (possibly due to using an active DP to HDMI converter that is no longer required) and everything else seems fine. Mojave throws "This software is not optimized for your Mac" warnings when booting some software (32 bit, I presume) for the first or second time, but that bother is soon left in the rear-view mirror. This will likely be a major issue with Catalina, but I don't plan on taking my Mac Pro beyond Mojave, the last officially-supported OS for the 5,1.

I second MJ_'s advice: if you are going to go thru the trouble of updating your OS, go all the way to Mojave.

Reactions: MSastre

madrich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2012
Mid-2010 MBP 15" here... When I updated from SL to Mavericks, I kept getting random reboots that became predictable and easily reproducible which proves otherwise on SL... Must be something about the codes on Mavericks. Fortunately, I bugged Apple long enough for them to replace my mainboard FOC on my 4th year, way out of AppleCare coverage.
Maybe I should have been more persistent like you because I had the restarts and kernel panic attacks as well with Mavericks. I feel that I do not need "extras" with subsequent OS X after El Captain. I probably will keep it on El Capitan until I decide to get a new computer.

Reactions: Partron22

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
I second MJ_'s advice: if you are going to go thru the trouble of updating your OS, go all the way to Mojave.
Personally, I had less trouble with High Sierra on HFS+ than Mojave on APFS. (random kernel panics after wake up from sleep which forced me to reformat my SSD already twice in three months). High Sierra 10.13.6 is rock solid and much better than Sierra. Fingers crossed that the last update of Mojave will solve the annoying bugs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.