Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theramajor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2019
Wisconsin
Hi all I’m on a 2014 MBPro running Big Sur with 16GB of RAM. When I have multiple apps open system resources sometimes get sluggish.

Have you noticed any performance increase or decrease since upgrading to Monterey?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi all I’m on a 2014 MBPro running Big Sur with 16GB of RAM. When I have multiple apps open system resources sometimes get sluggish.

Have you noticed any performance increase or decrease since upgrading to Monterey?
Monterey isn't officially supported on any 2014 laptops, and doesn't really perform any differently on supported Macs. I'd just stay on Big Sur.

theramajor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2019
Wisconsin
Monterey isn't officially supported on any 2014 laptops

Can you please extrapolate what you mean by not “officially reported”? Because I get notifications from system preferences to upgrade. Why would the OS offer an upgrade if it isn’t supported?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Can you please extrapolate what you mean by not “officially reported”? Because I get notifications from system preferences to upgrade. Why would the OS offer an upgrade if it isn’t supported?
If you have an actual 2014 model of a MacBook Pro, it won't install Monterey. System requirements are here:
Only the early 2015 and later models support Monterey. I have heard of cases where Software Update incorrectly offers the upgrade to incompatible computers.

Reactions: theramajor

theramajor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2019
Wisconsin
If you have an actual 2014 model of a MacBook Pro, it won't install Monterey. System requirements are here:
Only the early 2015 and later models support Monterey. I have heard of cases where Software Update incorrectly offers the upgrade to incompatible computers.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Jack Neill

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2015
San Antonio Texas
Officially supported. No go. OCLP all day long. Monterey is fine although I’ve noticed it running a little hotter on my 2015 MPB 13”. Personally I would give it a try on your 2014 and see if it’s for you.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
Apple-sourced notifications are dumb. For years my old 2011 iMac would get notifications to update to whatever new OS had just been launched even though it couldn't officially run anything more recent than High Sierra, which it was running. You'd think Apple would get this basic stuff right, but no.

Reactions: OldMacPro2
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.