Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Hi

I got my iPod last year and it came with OS 2. something on it. I do not use the iPod much at all. Just for a few podcasts occasionally and just fiddling around with it. Now some times I come across an app I want to install but it asks for OS 3.0. What I am concerned about is that I read somewhere that OS 3.0 is slightly slower than OS 2.0. Is this true? Do you think I should upgrade?

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
I would say yes I have never noticed a slowdown after 3.0, but I would research it a bit more, put 'ipod touch 3.0 firmware [strikeout/]free[strikeout]' into a search engine look through some of the results esp the vids, you have to be confident and obviously it's at your own risk if you do that

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
The speed decrease is negligible unless you have a 2.0 device side by side. Even on a 1G touch, it's not unusably slow.

dingdongbubble

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
^And is it noticeably/considerably slower if you make a side by side comparison with an os 2.0 iPod touch?

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
It is definitely noticeable when compared to a OS 2.0 touch, but only when opening/loading apps. General performance is about the same.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I would suggest avoiding it unless you really need it. Since upgrading it's been frustratingly slow (first-gen Touch). Some quick tests:

Press Music icon: 8 seconds of blank screen followed by "updating library" for a couple of minutes (this message seems to appear after every synch, regardless of whether you have new songs or not - as you'll be aware, it's seen very rarely under OS 2).

Go from playing a song to track list: It actually only took 2 seconds this time, but often takes 4-5.

In addition, double-tapping the Home button to resume paused playback no longer works and there's no timeframe on a fix.

I'd like to say that my experiences are an anomaly but I've seen plenty of complaints. I've also done a full restore, etc, so I know that it's not just a "bad install".

Hopefully this helps and doesn't scare you too much :)

frank.deale

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2010
I hesitated for a while because I was doing great with 2.2.1, but then just got up the courage and did it. Too may apps that I was interested in required it and that number was just going to get bigger. Luckily, no issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.