Should i upgrade to snow leopard from tiger?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Jaredistheman, May 21, 2010.

1. Jaredistheman macrumors member

I almost bought the upgrade disc today, however on further thought and reading around here, i've gathered that people seem to have A LOT of problems with macbooks in general. Since i bought my computer used and it doesn't have apple care, i'm thinking the age old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Because i'd hate to upgrade then i start having wireless problems etc.

Is it worth the upgrade? I do a lot of digital audio oriented stuff and i'd really like to upgrade simply because some virtual instruments and plug in's only work with 10.5 or above.

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

1. What are the specs on your MacBook?

2. What do you use the computer for?

3. Jaredistheman thread starter macrumors member

I just listed one in my post and the specs are in my sig? lol But i'll be glad to repeat.

2.0 Ghz intel core duo , 2gb DDR2 ram, 250gb hdd

I will be using it for web browsing, emails, and recording (digital audio) purposes.

4. Jaredistheman thread starter macrumors member

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Snow Leopard should run great on your machine:D

Although for what you use it for, you don't really need it, Snow Leopard will free up a fair bit of HD space, plus it will be faster than Tiger.

6. eman macrumors 6502a

I believe you can not upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard. If you want to load Snow Leopard and not upgrade from Tiger, erase the HD and load Snow Leopard with a fresh install. Snow Leopard will load fine on your machine and I have no problems with SL at all.

7. Jaredistheman thread starter macrumors member

Well, my biggest reason is because there are programs i want to run that require leopard or higher to run! And i'd really rather upgrade vs a fresh install simply because i don't feel like having to go back through and re set up EVERYTHING. haha (mainly reinstalling programs)

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah, in the not-too-distant-future most applications will be Leopard+ only. I find that Snow Leopard is a lot faster and cleaner than Tiger too (I've used both Tiger and Snow Leopard). My iMac still has Tiger, and its rahter sluggish. While my MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard is a lot cleaner:D

Enjoy the magic of Snow Leopard!