Should I upgrade to Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MXM, Aug 24, 2009.

  1. MXM macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2009
    #1
    Hi,
    I've recently purchased a Macbook and can get an upgrade at a discounted price. I'd like to know whether the upgrade is necessary and what advantages it has over the current Mac OS. I would imagine upgrading involves lots of file-copying work, and if Snow Leopard isn't really much better, perhaps I'll just pass.

    Thanks.
     
  2. TheShinyMac macrumors 6502a

    TheShinyMac

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2009
    #2
    Skip having Mcdonalds for a few days then youll have enough
     
  3. dangerfish macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2007
    #3
    Upgrade. Of course it isn't necessary but it is full of improvements. No file
    copying or moving required.
     
  4. devburke Guest

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2008
    #4
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/

    Browse around, learn all about it. Just doing a plain upgrade (the default) shouldn't be much work at all, it keeps all your files and settings and everything. Upgrading early could be a little buggy, as early releases tend to be, but all reports seem to be that SL's looking pretty solid. The only other thing to worry about is whether your apps will work or not. For more info on that, check out http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

    Eventually, as apps update and everything, they will likely start requiring Snow Leopard for the newest version. For $30, I see no reason not to upgrade eventually, although I could understand holding off a little for bugs to get smoothed out and apps to catch up with compatibility.
     
  5. MXM thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2009
    #5
    I'm concerned about the bugs if I upgrade now, and currently all my applications work just fine and that's why I'm a bit reluctant to upgrade. I think the discount period will end, what do you think if I purchase the upgrade now but hold off the installation until the system becomes more stable? Thanks
     
  6. devburke Guest

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2008
    #6
    The upgrade price won't end, but if you're worried it will, you can do what you said, just buy it now and upgrade later. A lot of people do usually hold off until 10.X.1, 10.X.2, or even 10.X.3 to give the release time to really hit its stride.

    Edit: Oh yeah, he's right below, I forgot about the Up-To-Date pricing. If you qualify for that, I'd definitely buy it now, and you can hold off on actually using it if you like. If you wait for the window for that to close, you'll have to pay $30 to buy it, as opposed to $10.
     
  7. ravenshadow13 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2009
    #7
    I'm pretty sure that the discount period that ends is the discount because you bought your computer recently, and that's $10 right? The regular price (I think permanent?) is only $20 more. So that's still not a lot.
     
  8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

    thegoldenmackid

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2006
    Location:
    dallas, texas
    #8
    What computer do you have? That might be (slightly) helpful.
     
  9. MXM thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2009
    #9
    Yes, I was referring to the Up-To-Date price, which will end soon for me. I was indeed thinking to buy it now, wait until some patches come out for the system to be stabilized and then install both the OS and the patches. Has anyone tried this before? If installing OS+patches together is a bad idea for whatever reasons, I might just wait for the system to become stable and then buy the upgrade.

    My mac is Macbook 15-inch: 2.53GHz. Would it work well with the new OS? Thanks
     
  10. devburke Guest

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2008
    #10
    Nah it's not a bad idea at all. You just install, and then run Software Update when you first boot it up, it'll bring you up to speed.
     
  11. MXM thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 23, 2009
    #11
    Cool, thanks a lot!
     

Share This Page