should i upgrade to the 3.0 beta

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bob616, Apr 9, 2009.

1. bob616 macrumors 6502

I have one iPhone 3g that i currently use for regular use and to test the apps that i make with the sdk. should i upgrade to the 3.0 beta.
    how stable is it?
    can i still use my phone for day to day use or is it only a "testing" phone after i upgrade?
    is it even worth it to upgrade?

2. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

If you use it as a main phone, I wouldn't update.

3. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

It's worth upgrading if you don't care if some of your apps don't work. Getting things like MMS and tethering and such are kind of tough, but can be done.

It can always be downgraded, but the baseband stays the same, so no unlocking.

bleu

4. JLatte macrumors 6502

One other thing I might think is worth mentioning - I was using the SDK for 2.2.1 and upgraded the iPhone to 3.0 beta. You will have to upgrade your SDK as well to 3.0 to be able to test any apps on your phone, which means if you have a pre 3.0 app you're writing you won't be able to publish it until 3.0 goes live (I believe).

Anyways, if you already knew this, or if this was common knowledge, ignore it, but I just discovered this accidentally last night when upgrading my iPhone to beta.

By the way, it's not that bad. I notice that the user interface is slightly sluggish, but not so bad where it's unbearable. I'm loving the search function and copy + paste. Haven't had many bugs yet.

5. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok that means that i am going to have to submit the app that i am currently working on before i upgrade.
    speaking of submitting an app to the app store, how do i do that i cant really figure it out.
    also your phone is still usable for making calls going on the internet and texting right?

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

IMO unless you are willing to buy an app such as Free Memory then I would hold off. 3.0b2 takes up so much memory at a time that the iPhone hangs a lot.

That's why I got Free Memory because otherwise it was unbearable.

7. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

is free memory safe. on itunes it has low ratings and every one is compiling about issues is causes

8. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Hey I messed up. I have MemoryInfo. I think it is by the same people, I'm not sure. Anyway it works great. After a lot of calls/internet/texting/iPod etc.. I usually have like ~7MB free. After doing MemoryInfo it jumps back up to ~40MB and you can really tell the difference.

I don't know why I said FreeMemory :rolleyes:

9. GFSarah macrumors regular

GFSarah

iStat is another app I'd recommend if you don't want to mess with Free Memory. iStat has that "free up memory" function and other cool things, too. I don't know what kind of ratings it has on iTunes right now, but I love it.

10. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

i bought istat. what apps dont work with 3.0 and do i update to 3.0 through itunes or through xcode

11. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

iTunes via your dl from your dev acct.

12. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for all the help guys.
    i upgraded to the beta and it seems to be running pretty smoothly, i just need to think of some good ways to add the new 3.0 features into my app.
    the only problems that i have noticed so far are that itunes does not recognize that i have mobile me. it usually greys out the option to add contacts from your computer when you have mobile me syncing your contacts but it still shows the option to sync contacts. the other issue i noticed is that it is taking a while to sync back my music.

13. hbg macrumors regular

IS 3 beta 2 is very stable and works great and is infinitely better than beta 1. I use it on my iPhone for daily use and find it excellent.