Should I upgrade to the (late 2009) Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by analog guy, Jul 29, 2010.

1. analog guy macrumors 6502

Hi!
    I've got a 2TB early 2009 Time Capsule (MB996LL/A) and am wondering if I should upgrade to the late 2009 MB334LL/A version (no change in the size).

I currently have the TC hardwired to my main computer (a Mac Pro), which has about 1TB of data on it. I also use the TC to backup 2 other MacBooks -- generally wirelessly (802.11n). The TC is hardwired via Ethernet to a printer. I am not currently using the TC's USB port.

Is there any point to upgrade the TC? I've read about a speed increase, but I'm not sure how significant that is.

On a daily basis, I do copy files >=200MB between computers, and as mentioned above I am doing backups both wired and wirelessly via Time Machine.

I would doubt that web surfing (wirelessly with the Macbooks) would be affected.

Thanks for any input you have!

2. mangrove macrumors 6502

I'd stick with what you have in case it craps out and then you can get it replaced under any of your computers warranty if they are in effect when it goes.

There is another thread today about should a guy buy the TC or an other external backup device.

I told him what happened to me and my original TC. Check it out.