Should I upgrade to the new MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Beatbeckham, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Beatbeckham macrumors regular

Hi guys!

I have the MacBook Pro Mid 2012 15" 750GB model. Im a student and I find this Mac really heavy and not so easy to carry around.

Im thinking of buying the New Macbook Pro Retina 13". I know it released very recently, but I expected a new design and newer processor.

Shall I buy the new Macbook? Or wait for the neext upgrade?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You really don't go into detail about how you'll use the computer and whether your current machine handles your tasks. You're only talking about a 2 pound difference. I'd say wait until the next revision since your computer isn't too old.

3. Beatbeckham thread starter macrumors regular

I mainly use it to browse and watch movies. Sometimes, I use Logic Pro for music producing. Not so often though.

I feel the 13" is much easier to put in my school bag, etc. I wanted and iPad in the first place, but feel 13" MacBook is and better choise.

4. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Have you considered a MBA? Your usage seems extremely light.

5. Beatbeckham thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, but I like to have a little power, as I do several things at the same time..

My only question is if I should wait for the next upgrade? Will it be much better?

6. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

If you do several things at once, RAM is more essential than CPU power. Unless you really want the Retina display(which looks stunning)

7. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

if you keep thinking about the next generation, they will always be better, i suggest buy now with what you need and how much you can afford.

MBA is the way to go, incredibly light. You can get an external drive for your movies so you can be on the move

8. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

13" rMBP is a drop back on the CPU front - it's only dual core, rather than a quad. The PCIe SSD will make a difference to responsiveness - they're much quicker than the old spinny hard drives you currently have.

I'd shove 8GB RAM and an SSD in the existing machine. If you can't manage to carry round a 2Kg laptop I suggest you try doing a few press-ups. ;)

9. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

What a rude comment. When my laptop is in my bag along with my other books then I really prefer my current rMBP over the 2011 13" MBP. You really don't understand how heavy it is annoying for students.

10. chaofahn macrumors member

chaofahn

Let's put it this way: if you NEED to upgrade, then upgrade. If you WANT to upgrade, wait for next year's inevitable upgrade.

For example, I NEED to upgrade since I require my Mac for work, and I need it ASAP to keep up with upcoming projects. I WANT a Retina iPad Mini because my 1st Gen is getting outdated, but apart from that I actually have no real NEED for an upgrade just yet.

Hope that solves your internal dilemma. :p

11. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

When the new products are announced, hopefully on Sept 9, look for a 12" Retina Macbook Air.

12. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

See the winky smilie? Maybe a little cheeky, not "offensively impolite". If you want "offensively impolite" I can oblige.

Surprisingly I was a student once. Contrary to popular belief I didn't just appear magically at the age of 22. I carried around a 3.4Kg Toshiba when I was at Uni that was over 2 inches thick, plus the inevitable heavy text book or two most days. The Tosh was about the standard weight for a A4 format laptop of around that period.

So tell me again what I don't understand...

13. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

When I was that age, I had to carry around twice that much in weight ... in the snow ... uphill! :D

At any rate, if I was the OP, I would just get the 13" retina i5, 8GB, 256GB. But, if they are really anything like me, they will fill up that 256GB with crap eventually, and rather than be bothered to keep it cleaned up at regular intervals, go with the 512GB.

14. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

:eek: You learn something new everyday:D

Sorry, I should have picked up on the wink.

15. MTL18 macrumors regular

You don't need a new computer, but if you want one that is lighter, here is a thought:

Sell your current 2012 rMBP and look for a 2013 MBA refurbished. Between the sale of the rMBP and discount on the MBA I'd be surprised if you still have to pay much cash.

You'd lose some power but you didn't mention that you needed much. Battery life on the 13 inch air is better than any other option too, so you can save even more weight by leaving the charger at home.

16. jg321 macrumors 6502

Went from a 2011 MBP to a late 2013 rMBP. Lighter, thinner, better screen. PCI-Express SSD much quicker than SATA SSD.

Very pleased. I got the 2.4 i5/8/256.

17. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Same here! Was a massive upgrade for me as well.

18. taelan28 macrumors regular

Boo Frickety Hoo: http://youtu.be/woDjWnR9Nns

19. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

20. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

It would have been extremely helpful to your cause if you managed to read the replies made after that.

21. taelan28, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014

taelan28 macrumors regular

The posters opinion that it was a rude comment has changed but his or her belief that we dont understand how hard or heavy it is to be a student has not changed. Therefore my opinion still stands. Boo frickety hoo. Books have been heavy for decades. I went to school at a time when desktops were outselling laptops and the laptops were sooo unwieldy that they were defacto desktops. I didnt even have a computer when i was in school (04~08). I wanted to save money and type everything in the lab.

It wasnt that long ago when touch screen was a dirty word because they werent responsive and we needed to go home to upload our photos.

You wanna complain about somerthing go get a job. The hot grease ive had spilled on me. The 4000lb boilers ive nearly had squish me, the hundreds of pounds of equipment ive had to lift putting my back at risk, the high places ive had to reach with one leg on a ladder and the other on the wall to screw in a tie rod for a kitchen hood, the dusty work zones ive worked in for 15 hours until my lungs were clogged and i was hocking up loogies and sick in bed the next day.

I really have no sympathy for how heavy your books are and for all i care you can handwrite your reports. I really hope you accomplish enough as a student so you can get a good enough job where youre not putting your body at risk and even then youll look back at your heavy bag with books and middle aged laptop and realize hlw good it was to be a student.

22. Crugga macrumors regular

You'd notice the loss in cores using Logic pro. Although the 13" would likely feel quicker for certain things you'd be losing with power use.

Personally if it was just the weight I would keep the laptop at home and buy an ipad. I had one and it pretty much acted as a web browser and a tv both of which id did really well. I sold it because I rarely used it as im home most of the time or if mobile in the car.