Should I upgrade to the New MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pratul, Oct 28, 2016.

  1. pratul macrumors newbie


    Oct 28, 2016
    I have a late 2011 Macbook Pro with the i7-2720QM Quad-Core processor. I am OK with it's speed. My only issue with it is the size and had been waiting for the last year or so for a lighter but equally powerful MBP.
    I am currently considering the 13 inch MBP with the i7-6567U dual core processor. However, I'm concerned that they are both rated at the almost the same boosted frequency and the new one has two less cores. Most of the benchmarks I have seen on the web show significantly lower scores for the i7-6567U processor.

    Not sure what impact the faster memory, larger bandwith and faster GPU will have on the overall performance.

    Will I see a performance drop if I move to the new MBP? Main applications that I use are:

    Microsoft office
    Photoshop & Lightroom

    Any ideas? What do you guys think?
  2. Ries macrumors 68020

    Apr 21, 2007
    People who buy one will tell you yes, and people like me, who think it is way overpriced, will tell you no.

    You'll see improvements in GPU by a factor of 4 (if you only got integrated). A slight (10%'ish) improvement in single threaded workloads and a decrease in multithreaded workloads. (according to passmark scores)

    your current model CPU scores about 6100 and the new model 5500 in passmark.
  3. Altis macrumors 68030

    Sep 10, 2013
    Unless you're doing video work, Photoshop and Lightroom should run well on the new base 13" MBP.

    Having said that, it's a ton of money for similar performance, although the new ones will have some elements that perform better (SSD/RAM speed, newer architectures in the CPU). The new displays might also be much nicer than the '11 non-retina TN panels.

    Peronsally, I think the new ones are overpriced, as many others do, but at the end of the day, it's your money and your happiness. I hope that at least the technical part helps!
  4. pratul thread starter macrumors newbie


    Oct 28, 2016
    Thanks guys! I feel the same way. I ordered the new 13 inch on impulse but after comparing the specs with my current MBP i cancelled the order.
    My current machine has quad core i7 (gen 2) with 16gb and 750gb SSD. The 13 inch model even with the highest config is expected to be slower. Plus it will cost almost $3k. Not worth it. I will wait for the next upgrade.
    Thanks again for your input.

Share This Page

3 October 28, 2016