Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedwolfe

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2010
I Have a 5s iPhone running 8.1, says capacity 12.16 GB, 988.3 free on iTunes, and available 906 MB on phone.

Can I and should I upgrade to 8.1.3?

Not having any issues and am always low on space for music and pictures.

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
Typically the latest release is going to be the most secure and more often than not the most stable.

Unless you're interested in jailbreaking your device I recommend the upgrade.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
If your phone is working fine I say leave it alone.

I am very bullish on iOS 8, but I can't see why this isn't good advice. Unless you really want one of the features iOS 8 offers, or unless you're having trouble updating or installing apps that you want, if it's running well, leave it be.

I did that once with a 4S - it was on 5.something when all my other devices were on 7.1.2, and it got to be very frustrating. Every time I synced to update apps I'd get this list of three dozen apps that couldn't update because of the iOS version, and there were lots of apps that I couldn't install at all. But that was two full versions behind, not one.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
For the _._.x releases I'd need to be told a damned good reason not to upgrade. The 3rd digit usually means critical bugs and security flaws were fixed and not much else. (Otherwise they'd just have waited until 8.2 to come out.)

Thus far I've not seen anyone give a good reason not to upgrade so my default advice would be "absolutely."

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I Have a 5s iPhone running 8.1, says capacity 12.16 GB, 988.3 free on iTunes, and available 906 MB on phone.

Can I and should I upgrade to 8.1.3?

Not having any issues and am always low on space for music and pictures.

Well you're just leaving yourself open to publicly-disclosed security flaws that were patched in 8.1.3.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Well you're just leaving yourself open to publicly-disclosed security flaws that were patched in 8.1.3.

my dads 5S has been on 7.0.4 since we bought it for him a year ago. If I remember correctly that was the one SSL bug or something. Not one thing has happened to his phone security wise.

----------

any actually been exploited in the real world?

Yeah seriously. Have not read one thing about someone in the real world being affected by these security exploits lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.