Should I upgrade upgrade to Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MacNewbie03, Oct 20, 2011.

1. MacNewbie03 macrumors regular

MacNewbie03

I have a Mid 2007 iMac 2.4 Ghz with 4 GB RAM. How well will this machine handle Lion?

2. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I would definitely recommend it. Your iMac has double the required ram to run Lion and more than fast processor to handle it.

3. hinkamp macrumors newbie

If your iMac is capable, I would add more RAM before upgrading to Lion just to be on the safe side.

The best new feature of Lion in my opinion is the gestures, which you probably won't take advantage of on an iMac unless you purchase the trackpad (is that what they call it?). The new mail.app is really nice as well.

4. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I ran Lion on my MacBook with 2GB ram for the longest time and it was fine. And actually, if the OP has the Magic Mouse he can still take advantage of some of the new gestures.

5. MacNewbie03 thread starter macrumors regular

MacNewbie03

The iMac is maxed out on RAM. I only have the wired Apple Mouse.

6. Sc00tr macrumors regular

7. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

It's not maxed out. That model unoffically supports 6GB ram with 2GBx4GB. And you can still take advantage of the multitasking gestures if you bought the Magic Mouse or trackpad.

8. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

I too have a mid 2007 iMac and according to this: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1423 4GB is the maximum RAM we can run.

9. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

That's as much as Apple would support, but as I said, you can put 6GB in it.

10. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

11. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I was speaking with a friend who has this exact model, and upgraded from 4 to 6GB after two weeks of running Lion on 4. He said the difference was not enough to impress him. If he had to do it again he said he wouldn't.

Frankly I was surprised, since there hasn't been a single time I've added more ram that it wasn't a very satisfying improvement.

12. iParis, Oct 22, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2011

iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Yeah, kind of like how my MacBook's "official" ram is 2GB, but I can put in 2x1 or 2x2 for 3GB. Crucial also claims my max is 2GB. I usually check everymac.com for stuff like this.

Hm. Maybe it's not that big of a difference because of what he does on his computer. Perhaps there's something else stopping him from really noticing seeing a difference or maybe he hasn't encountered a chance for a difference to be show because he's not using the full amount of ram available? Maybe it's partially because it's not the same amount or ram in each slot. Everymac.com claims there is no performance loss when using different amounts of ram in the slots, but then again it also said that about my MacBook and I saw a bunch of people saying having the same amount of ram in each slot (whether or not it can utilize all of it) will give you more of a performance boost because it runs can use dual channel memory. <--- Not sure if I worded that last part correctly.

EDIT: Just so you guys don't think I'm talking out my @ss.
    MacBook 2,1 2.16
    iMac 7,1 2.4 20"

13. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

So maybe that's why 4GB is the maximum amount of RAM supported by Apple and Crucial.