Should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bobo911, Mar 10, 2011.

  1. bobo911 macrumors newbie

    Mar 10, 2011
    Right now I have the late'08 MBP 2.53 Core2Duo with 4b RAM and 320gb HDD with the two Nvidia GPUs.
    I was wondering whether I should upgrade now to the new 2.2GHz Quadi7 with 7200rpm 500gb HDD or should I wait for summer and see of there are more minor changes? I'm really starting to feel like my computer is having a hard time following the new stuffs.
    If I should upgrade, which HDD should I pick?
  2. grawk macrumors 6502


    Jan 26, 2004
    Southern York County, PA
    There's always something new coming down the pipeline. Upgrade when your computer can't meet the needs you have, and when you upgrade, get the system you need. You should pick the hard drive that suits your needs, get SSD if you need faster, and get a big drive if you need more space. What are you doing that makes your current mbp feel slow? Just the idea that there's a faster one out there, or is something actually taxing your system?
  3. iZero macrumors regular

    Mar 8, 2011
    There is nothing coming to the MBP this summer. It had it's refresh for the next year or perhaps a little less. They usually refresh each model in their line once a year or so. That being said, like grawk said, if your MBP feels like it's not up to the tasks you need anymore, it's definitely worth it to upgrade! :) But if it's still capable of doing all you need, there's no real "need" to do so, unless you just want a new toy :p in which case, as long as it won't take food from your mouth, no harm in upgrading either :p But waiting for refreshes is somewhat a "fool's errand". Waiting for one, means when the one you wait for comes out, another is just a year away. And so on.
  4. bobo911 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 10, 2011
    I run both windows 7 and the mac on mine. I feel like the boot up time for both are really slow and when i play games on the windows7, there are often glitches too. Also, I watch blu-ray movies on my mac and all player freezes trying to run the 1080p files. On the windows7, the computer lags playing CoD4. Also, my battery is actually pretty bad too, i'm getting like 2hrs 30mins top.
    There was a mod on the macbook pro I once saw that he used a SSD and replaced the CD-drive with another HDD, do you think that's a better idea?
  5. ZZANG macrumors regular


    Feb 25, 2011
    Planet Cybertron
    The way Apple products hold value I seem to just sale my old one near the price I purchased and just pay approx 200 for the new model...

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. iZero macrumors regular

    Mar 8, 2011
    Somehow I doubt that the OP's 2008 would be bought for enough that they'd need only $200 for a 2011 model... An upgrade could be costly. No (smart) buyer will buy a used MBP for that little under what they could get a brand new one for...
  7. Tomorrow macrumors 604


    Mar 2, 2008
    Always a day away
    If your computer is somehow failing to meet your needs, you should consider an upgrade.

    If your computer is doing everything you need it to, in the way you need it done, then there's no real reason to upgrade.
  8. ranviper macrumors 6502a


    Oct 10, 2010
    Adirondacks, NY
    Agreed with all them. Every time something new comes out I really get the urge to upgrade, but then I realize, I love my MBP and it does everything I ask it to with great ease. Its a great solution until I can afford and iMac and MBA Combo.

Share This Page