Should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SmoothJ, Apr 3, 2011.

  1. SmoothJ macrumors member

    Oct 19, 2010
    Right now I have a early 2008 17in MBP with a 2.5 GHz C2D, 200 GB HD, and 3 GB of RAM. All I do with it mostly is surf the net and do light video/photo editing.

    Applecare is finally running out and will expire in 31 days or so. So, as mentioned in another post, Apple in in the process of changing out the HD with a newer 250 GB cause the other HD was failing.

    The system, although it has a 8600 card in it, so far runs well and does what I need it to do. However it going on 3 years, should I upgrade to another 17, or even a 15?

    Granted I could sell it to sell your mac, or even Apples recycling program, but should I?

    Please let me know what everyone thinks - thanks!
  2. alust2013 macrumors 601


    Feb 6, 2010
    On the fence
    If it does what you need it to, and does it to your liking, I don't think there is any reason to upgrade.
  3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603


    Mar 22, 2010
    +1. Better off waiting until 2012 for the redesign if all you do on the computer you have now is basic use.
  4. tersono macrumors 68000


    Jan 18, 2005
    I'd consider upgrading. The 8600m is something of a timebomb and is likely to fail at some point.
  5. SmoothJ thread starter macrumors member

    Oct 19, 2010
    Thanks for the advice all. I am still thinking about it, but since the newer model is going to come out next year I may go with the newer one.

    On the other hand, a good rule of thumb is never to buy a first generation of anything. In this case, a new we will see.
  6. T-bag Guest

    Jan 20, 2011
    My english is a little bit rusty but I'll try to explain what I think.

    If you only look at this with a financial perspective there is a certain timeframe that within you should choose to either sell or keep. Like with cars and everything else. If you decide to keep past this timeframe you'll have to wait for a longer period of time for it to be financially smart to upgrade, the longer the better.

    Having an unstable video card (don't take my word for it, I've just read it here) may point in the direction of upgrading sooner rather than later. If it fails you have no computer and nothing to sell.

    At what age this "timeframe" for MBPs is I don't know. I guess it varies from country to country and also depend on the market a lot. Since the apple care is over, I'm guessing a couple of months ago. In my country we have rights beyond apple care (5 years from purchase). If the video card is unlikely to fail and you don't really need to upgrade, then why not simply keep it until it dies? If you're going to get a new MBP within 1-2 years, I'd see how much I could get for it.

    I'm not sure if I made myself clear here. I'm always struggling with buying new expensive things myself, especially if I don't really need them. It's all about how much you're willing to pay to get the latest.

    Good luck!
  7. DrakkenWar macrumors 6502


    Nov 7, 2010
    San Antonio,Texas
    Upgrade? Why?

    I would have to agree with a few that have posted here. There seems to be a mind set in some of the mac community that you have to upgrade! You need to have the newest shiny mac! And frankly I really don't get it. As I am typing this on my G3/800/10.4/768 iBook that bloody well does everything I need it to do on a daily basis. I have a dual G4 and dual G5 in the home office, but I really don't have the time to be in there with my daily computer needs. So if what you have does what you need? Video card issue? Meh. I have had 2 G3/900 iBooks pouch out on me with video issues, but let me tell ya, they where a hell of a lot cheaper to replace and do what I wanted them to do, than the newest mac on the block. And with that I will put away my soap box and continue using this aging beast on a a daily basis. ;)
  8. dzigg macrumors member

    Feb 20, 2007
    Agree with most comments here.. if your machine still lets you to be productive, no issues,generally still happy with it's performance, why upgrade?

    I dunno about the HD problems tho', so if you can sell your current ones for a good price so you can buy the newer models, I guess that's a possible scenario..

    Again it depends on your needs vs money you have..

    IF you want to buy, the base 15 inch MBP 2011 model is the best for it's value (or so I've heard).. but those ultimate 13 inch MBA looks so sexy filled with SSD goodness.. oh my..

    *writing this on my 2006 white macbook, so pardon the drooling.. :D

Share This Page