Should I Upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AntiHouseMD, Nov 12, 2011.

1. AntiHouseMD macrumors newbie

Hey guys. I'm a high school senior who is looking to major in biochemistry in college. Right now, I have an aluminum Macbook from late 2009. I'm debating whether I should look to replace it for college or keep it. It's still running decent, but I'm not sure whether I should look into upgrading to a Macbook Pro or Air. I don't know how the new laptops run in comparison to the old aluminum MacBooks, so I wanted to see what you guys think. I'm really not into gaming, so that isn't an issue. Thanks for any help!

2. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

The most important question is, why do you wanna upgrade?

What do you feel that your current macbook isn't doing for you?
    If there isn't any that you feel missing, then there is absolutely no reason to upgrade.

And if you have a reason but it can be solved by for example upgrading your current macbook, then do that instead. It all depends on what you want out of it!

3. winston1236 macrumors 68000

Stay with what you have

4. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

A 2009 MB is a very capable machine.
    Given that you're about to have all of the expenses of college, I'd keep what you have.

Newer is always going to be faster, shinier, smaller, etc, but that doesn't really matter if what you have still makes you happy.

5. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

You do not have an aluminum MacBook from late 2009. You either have an aluminum MacBook from late 2008, an aluminum MacBook Pro from mid 2009, or a polycarbonate white unibody MacBook from late 2009.

I am guessing you have an aluminum MacBook from late 2008. If this is the case, I would stick with it until the new, redesigned MacBook Pros, and possibly Airs, are released in 2012 and then consider those.

6. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

The uMB will be fine. Maybe upgrade to 4GB if it has less.

7. stickybuns macrumors 6502

You're going to find that money will be very tight in the near future, and you will likely need that money to pay your tuition. A better investment would be an external hard drive and/or cloud server space to back up all your files (sigh. That was a very painful lesson) and to set aside a general emergency fund using the money you would have spent on a new computer.