Should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MacM4ODA, Mar 7, 2013.

1. MacM4ODA macrumors regular

i am currently running "Snow Leopard" would there be any advantage to upgrade to the latest upgrade which is it ? Mtn. Lion or Lion or "Saber Toothed Tiger" ?? :D

if i were to upgrade do i need to buy a disk or can it be down loaded from :apple: website ?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're happy with SL, then stick with it. You cannot buy Mountain Lion on disk, you need to get it from the app store.

How much ram do you have on your computer, I'd say if you have 2gb you may run into performance problems with the later versions of OSX

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

And, if you do upgrade wait until 10.8.3 is out, also do not use Migration Assistant, better manage yourself.

I wish I could go back to SL, quite a few things which I don't like, too many bugs as well.(10.8.2)

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've not run into any bugs with 10.8.2, what issues are you seeing.

5. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

If only...

I too have not seen any bugs with Mountain Lion.

6. Hail Caesar macrumors regular

If your current OS Snow Leopard is doing everything you need it to do, then stick with it. Mountain Lion is great though and its a cheap upgrade too.

7. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

I am running 2008 Imac 24 with ML 10.8.2 2GB ram no problems..

8. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I'm still running SL on dedicated systems (a server, and entertainment systems) but all other Macs (four here) have been upgraded to ML which we much prefer for personal use.

The best way to try it out:

1. Have a spare external drive at least the capacity of your system drive. Have a USB flash drive of at least 8GB capacity. Have a copy of CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper!

2. Clone your system drive to the external.

3. Buy Mountain Lion on the Mac App Store and download.

4. Copy the install disk image to the flash drive. Instructions are all over the place on the Web. This will allow you to install/reinstall in the future without downloading it again.

5. Install ML and check it out. There are lots of changes -- you might want to read up first so you know what to look for.

6. If you don't like it, boot from the external and clone it back to your internal drive. (Note that you will lose any files you have created or worked on unless you copy them to the external first, and will lose any mail that you've received.

7. If you like it, you can use the external drive for something else, like a system backup.

9. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Depends.....

do a throughfully investigation about the software/hardware/peripherals you use to get things done, before upgrade. And maybe do a run test as a previous poster as suggested. For me, not all the new and shiny works best....

:):apple:

10. AppleDeviceUser macrumors 6502

AppleDeviceUser

I have had no problems at all running Mountain Lion (10.8.2.)
    I am running it on a MacBook Pro with Retina Display and 16GBs of RAM, maybe that's why there is no problems?

11. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

OP, check out what ML has to offer here - http://www.apple.com/osx/
    If you like it, then go for it!
    I will echo the thoughts of others, if you only have 2GB RAM then it might not be a great idea.

For me, the best thing about ML is the notifications. It's a nice simple feature but they have got it spot on.

12. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I would upgrade. For sure.

It's those few small features that make a difference.

13. MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

sorry about my absence here folks, had some medical problems.

for now i think i will stick with what i have, which is pretty much the same as it came out of the box, i may add the extra RAM, i was told it is pretty easy to do, just plug in the board and the computer takes over and does all the configs.., is this correct ?

:apple: :confused:

14. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

15. benwiggy macrumors 68020

16. MacM4ODA thread starter macrumors regular

thank you ! i have saved that link for reading later, i have to get off this puter and get busy.