Should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Teste, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Teste macrumors 6502

I strongly regret upgrading my iPhone 3GS to iOS 5. The phone became almost overwhelmingly laggy, from the unlock screen (when using the slide to unlock, I often don't see the sliding itself) to the music player (there is a noticeable lag when opening it) to even just typing (the key presses do register, but often there will be lag before what I have typed actually appears on the screen).

Now I have an iPad 3 (or whatever Apple wants to call it now), and I know I should consider whether possible upgrades are worth slowing the entire system down.

I'm not sure iOS 7 is worth upgrading to. I use my iPad mostly for productivity - reading multiple small PDFs and a few large books, consulting some apps, using Safari and a lot of writing. So far, the announced features of iOS 7 wouldn't help with any of that.

Sure, the idea of using a parallax effect to show layers is nice, but it doesn't really help improve productivity. Changing how the user interface looks was an interesting idea, but to me it's mostly irrelevant since it appears to be an improvement in aesthetic only, not in functionality.

I would strongly feel like upgrading if iOS had some useful features, such as a different system for selecting text or moving the cursor, more keyboard options, real multitasking to open two apps in the same screen (not "Infinity Blade 3" and the movie player, just a PDF reader and a note-taking app, this would greatly improve the iPad for me), and so on.

Since some people here have been using iOS 7, I would like to ask: would it be worth upgrading from the point of view of someone focused on productivity? Is there any improvement in this aspect?

2. Holty123 macrumors 6502

Holty123

Hi, are you a Dev? it's ok if your not, do you know how to restore your phone back to ios6?

if you just want to try it out that's ok just make sure you know what you are doing first!

We have it on our devices and it works fine, but not everyone is happy!

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

1) There is no version of iOS 7 that you can install right now on an iPad. The developer preview is only for iPhones.

2) If you are asking about installing the final version of iOS 7 when it's released, you're asking this a bit prematurely. iOS 7 will not be released until the fall. The only thing that's available now is an early developer preview that is not at all intended for most people to install on their devices.

Just wait until the fall when the final version is available. I'm sure there will be a lot of in-depth reviews and advice at that time, based on the real final state of the OS.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I do agree with precious poster that the question is a bit premature. That said, as far as system slow down is concerned, it might be an issue for iPad 2, but I don't think it will be an issue for iPad 3. If you are concerned, just wait a week or so after release and see if other people report speed issues. Personally, I'm not sure I like the new UI in iOS 7, and that is the principal reason why I might hesitate upgrading.