Should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yeochinh, Jul 7, 2013.

  1. yeochinh, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013

    yeochinh macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2010
    #1
    Hi guys.

    I am currently contemplating on upgrading my hardware. As of the moment, I am using a 2010 MBP core i5 2.4ghz with 8GB of ram and the standard 320gb hdd. It's still useful but I can feel it slow down on other apps when compared to the newer iterations of the MBP. This mbp has had 2 of the issues that plagued its generation's shipped models - it had its HDD replaced (apple recall) and recently (about 3 weeks ago) it had its logic board replaced (for free because of an apple graphics chip recall for the GT330M).

    I am contemplating whether to still stick with this computer (it works, it's just a bit sluggish on some apps, and the battery life is not as long as I want it to be) or should I upgrade to a new 15" rMBP? (actually waiting for the haswell one as well since it would probably have a better battery life).

    Also I feel like the graphics card I have on this machine is a bit weak as this came shipped with the 256MB GT330M discreet. Is this graphics card still okay? (also, it's been newly replaced)

    Your thoughts/input would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance.
     
  2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

    SandboxGeneral

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    Location:
    Orbiting a G-type Main Sequence Star
    #2
    If it were me, I'd upgrade that with an SSD and if the battery needed replacing, I'd do that too. That's a much less expensive upgrade than buying a new one and you can extend the life and performance of it for a good number of years and save some money too.
     
  3. yeochinh thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2010
    #3
    Thanks for the input. The battery is still ok, 403 cycles, i should have it replaced when I reach the 800-900 mark. For the HDD, SSD would be nice but I think the 500GB SSD ones are still quite expensive. Maybe I should wait for the price to go down a bit. Are hybrid drives worth it btw?
     
  4. ValSalva macrumors 68040

    ValSalva

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2009
    Location:
    Burpelson AFB
    #4
    It all depends on whether you want a retina display. Have you seen one in person? They are beautiful.

    It you are thinking of upgrading because your MBP is slow and not because you want the retina display then it does make sense to upgrade to an SSD. It will feel like better than new with a SSD.

    And of course it depends on how much you have to spend. If you have $2500 to spend then go ahead and wait for the Haswell 15" rMBP. You won't be disappointed. But a new SSD will only set you back less than $400, depending on capacity.
     
  5. yeochinh thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2010
    #5

    Yup, seen them and yes they are definitely beautiful. And I could use a bigger screen real estate. I'm also currently concerned about the graphics card on my machine as it only has a 256mb discreet graphics card. is this also affecting performance on my machine? does this also mean that my machine won't be as future proof (let's say 1-2 years from now) as it is a bit weak?
     
  6. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #6
    I'd go for a new one, get a faster cpu, gpu, better display - the retina display is gorgeous.

    You already had the logic board replaced due to the GPU but that doesn't fix the inherent design problem with the GT330M, you may run into issues with that again.

    While the SSD upgrade on your current machine will improve disk i/o operations, it won't increase computational performance. I think a Haswell based rMBP is the way to go :D
     
  7. yeochinh thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2010
    #7
    Never knew about the inherent design problem on the 330M. I'm a bit concerned now. I guess I should really wait for the Haswell rMBP. By the way, how is the battery life on the current gen rMBP?
     
  8. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #8
    Its a recall and apple is replacing the logic board. I googled gt330m recall and there does seem to have problems with it. I perhaps should have used some different verbiage instead of saying inherent design problem since I'm not entirely familiar with the details.

    My point is apple is doing a recall, they gave you a logic board using the same gt330m so you may still run into the issues.
     
  9. skaertus macrumors 68030

    skaertus

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2009
    Location:
    Brazil
    #9
    Apple announces both the 13 and the 15-inch rMBP as having a 7-hour battery life. In real world usage, the 15-inch model should have a better battery life than the 13-inch, as most tests will point out, but it will also depend on the usage. I like the tests carried out by NotebookCheck.net. The 15-inch managed to get 6 hours (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Apple-MacBook-Pro-15-Retina-2-3-GHz-Mid-2012.78959.0.html) and the 13-inch, almost 7 hours (http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Apple-MacBook-Pro-15-Retina-2-3-GHz-Mid-2012.78959.0.html).

    I have a 15-inch rMBP and I've been able to squeeze 10 hours of battery life out of it (low brightness, but with wi-fi on). I've never been able to get less than 5 hours out of it, in any circumstance.

    Of course Haswell will provide a better battery life, but we don't know yet by how much. The screen of the rMBP consumes a lot of battery life, a much higher percentage of battery life than it does on the MBA. So, I don't expect a jump in battery life as it happened with the MBA. Let's see.
     
  10. yeochinh, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013

    yeochinh thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2010
    #10
    I guess you're right. Also as I was typing this I found this error on my screen:
    [​IMG]

    But then again I'm using OS X Mavericks (beta 2) so maybe this is a mavericks issue.
    Or maybe it's a sign that I should upgrade soon hahaha.
    Thank you so much for the input! :)

    ----------

    With the rMBPs, you really can't upgrade the ram after purchasing the unit right? even the disk space?
     
  11. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

    NewishMacGuy

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2007
    #11
    I would definitely upgrade the whole computer, but if the budget is tight go for a 2011 or 2012 uMBP Sandy/Ivy Bridge i7 uMBP. If you get $500 for your computer and spend another $500, you should be able to get a 2011 with 8GB RAM and at least a hybrid drive.


    ___
     
  12. Isamilis macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2012
    #12
    I'd recommend get the new machine. If you want to have upgradeable components then go with cMBP. Otherwise, MBA or rMBP are the same in term of upgradability; both have higher display (of course retina is much higher). If you plan to get rMBP 13" would be better if you wait for the next version.
     
  13. Bear macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2002
    Location:
    Sol III - Terra
    #13
    If you feel the graphics card is a bit weak, then your only real option is to get a new system. Being replaced with the same model card doesn't make it any faster.

    Also, depending on why your system feels sluggish to you, replacing the HD with an SSD may not help as much as you would like. It all depends on what you are using the Mac for.

    From your comments, I think in general you should start saving towards a Haswell based rMBP. You'd get the faster system, the longer battery life and better graphics.

    Hybrid drives as currently designed are not really worth it. As for replacing the battery, it's not the number of cycles that matters, it's how well it is still holding a charge. And that could happen at any number of charge cycles.
     
  14. Voodoofreak macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2012
    #14
    I second SandboxGeneral.

    IMO, the concerns that you have with the laptop don't seem to warrant a new notebook just yet. I would recommend a SSD upgrade which will definitely improve load times and speed. The battery doesn't seem to be a real issue with you yet, and you seem to have a plan for getting it replaced down the road.

    What's your general use for this notebook? If all you are looking for is general web surfing, then stick with what you have.
     
  15. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2012
    Location:
    Las Vegas, NV
    #15
    Dont waste your money upgrading. Only will save you seconds on normal day to day task. Drive it till it quits, then get some new technology. I bought the 2012 cMP a years ago thinking my Sony would quit soon. Still going strong, and I could have bought a Haswell, although not the big of an improvement over Ivy Bridge, IMHO.
     
  16. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

    NewishMacGuy

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2007
    #16
    Both have higher resolution displays, but higher resolution does not mean better. Moving to an MBA from what you have now would be a downgrade in display quality.


    ___
     
  17. sholzer macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2013
    #17
    I'm in the same boat as you (mid 2010 i5 8gb ram) but I have installed an SSD to hold me over until I feel the need to upgrade. Honestly with the 8gb of ram and the SSD, the computer is plenty fast for everyday tasks. Sure the CPU or GPU could perform better on heavy processing duties, but for most things it's perfectly fine.

    I do want to upgrade, but with the way the computer performs for what I use it for right now, I have no need to. That may be the same or different if you case, but only you can decide that.

    I would strongly recommend getting a small SSD and a data doubler (or something similar, I have the $10 one off amazon) if you have no need for the super drive. That and a fresh install of 10.8.4 really woke the computer up
     
  18. yeochinh thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2010
    #18
    I guess you're right. I should just get an SSD for a while and save up for the newer rMBPs. I usually just to web surfing, and the occasional photo/video editing and some programming.

    hm, another good point. but is it right for me to be afraid that my current graphics card won't be able to handle other graphics-intensive applications as it only has 256mb of memory?

    how is the battery life for you? did you also have your hdd/logic board replaced?
     
  19. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

    NewishMacGuy

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2007
    #19
    This is precisely what you shouldn't do. Buying an SSD for $300 for such an old machine is a waste if you're going to upgrade to an rMBP any time soon. Add that money to your rMBP savings. If you absolutely have to, try and find a gen 2 Seagate Momentus XT hybrid for $100 or so.


    ___
     

Share This Page