Should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macrbest, Sep 7, 2013.

1. macrbest macrumors newbie

Currently I have a 2.66 ghz late 2009 macbook pro. It is to the point where I start to see freezing when viewing anything HD video etc.

My questions are as follows:

Would the internet run faster with the upgraded logic board and graphics? Or is a 2009 just as capable as a newer laptop?

If I decided to fund a new computer with my current one how much would I be able to get for it? It currently has a brand new screen, battery with 77 cycles on it, and a new logic board. These were all under warranty and I just got the computer back. There are also no scratches and looks new because I only used it as a desktop (it never let the house except to go to the apple store for repair).

I do not do gaming, but I sometimes will use my computer to watch shows or movies. This does not exactly justify getting another one if I will never fully used any of the hardware.

What do you think?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

No. The internet runs as fast as your connection, period. Any modern computer should not have any trouble viewing the internet as it stands. Believe it or not, your computer is still decent. My GF uses a machine older than yours with no issues whatsoever with internet browsing.

Search for a MacBook Pro with similar specs on eBay and craigslist. You'll know what it's worth then.

I think that would be a fair assessment.

Slowness or lagging can be due to a plethora of things. Even watching HD video, you should not even be close to pushing the limits of your current computer. Either something is severly wrong with it or you have some kind of a software problem.