Should I Upgrade ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lc25, Feb 12, 2014.

1. lc25 macrumors 6502

Hi All,

My current iMac is 1 month away from warranty expiration and normally i would upgrade and sell my current model (i like to have warranty coverage) and move onwards but this time i don't know if its worth it or not.

I currently have a gaming pc as well which i only recently built but i am looking to sell both and throw a 1TB flash drive into my iMac so i can fast switch and play my games through the new iMac instead (i don't really have space for two computers)

Just looking for some general advice really, should i wait the 2-3 months as a few light upgrades may be implemented as part of the refresh or ?

Current:

27" Mid 2011 3.4 i7, 12GB Ram, 2GB Radeon 6970, 1TB Hard Drive

Upgrade:

27" 3.5 with Tb to 3.9 i7, 8GB (ill upgrade myself), 780M 4GB, 1TB Flash

2. Bear macrumors G3

There is nothing available to put in to an iMac refresh right now. Earliest would probably be September or October and even that is questionable as to whether new processors would be available for the iMacs. So I guess you should buy now.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I get why you want to have applecare cover with your current machine. However if you have backups of your stuff (which I assume you do), I wouldn't worry about it. Then you can just carry on using your Mac and upgrade whenever they do refresh. You can always buy the new iMac when yours dies in the meantime.

4. Dav1boy macrumors member

If ur still under warranty, why not purchase the extended apple care for another year? It'll give u some time to decide and peace of mind. Not to mention it'll help when trying resell.

5. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

You cannot extend AppleCare beyond the original coverage.

6. B.A.T macrumors 6502

Back your files up (if you haven't already done so) and enjoy your iMac.

7. CH12671 macrumors 6502

You can buy applecare anytime before the original warranty expires (first year). The OP actually never said if the warranty that is about it expire is the OEM warranty or the applecare extended warranty. If in fact it's already under applecare, then of course you are correct.

Edit: I concede, you are correct. Seeing as how his current model is a 2011, then he has to be talking about applecare!

8. lc25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its not I'm worried about loosing files i just don't want anything to go wrong then be out a shed load of money to buy a new one vs sell this now and move on without that risk.

Having said that i had the extra 3yrs cover and its never put a foot wrong in the 3yrs i have had it.