Should I upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by off in the wood, Feb 10, 2008.

1. off in the wood macrumors regular

I currently have a 4gb first generation nano (black)

and I am toying with the idea of upgrading to an ipod touch. But I don't know if it is for me?

I know about all of the extras that come with the touch (movies, pics, wifi) but I don't know if that is a big enough reason for me to go ahead and buy the touch.

just trying to get some touch owners feedback on why or why not someone like me should buy (what you use it for, or why you bought it?)

-having video playback would be nice, but I'm not sure how often I would use it

-having pictures, not really sure if i would ever use that either, but who knows

-having wifi, i think is probably the biggest reason i may end up buying one after all. However I do already have a wifi enabled smartphone, so i don't know if this would be having 2 of the same thing?

any feedback that may push or pull me one way would be appreciated.

2. forafireescape macrumors 6502a

forafireescape

It seems like you don't really need the Touch, especially if you already have a smartphone. I'd go with the newest generation of nano - you can still get the video playback with that. Plus it's stylish, and they just came out with higher capacity models.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I have an iPhone, but they are essentially the same thing ipod wise. Coming from a 5G iPod video I can say that watching video on this thing is awesome and I bet you'll use it more than you think if you have a lot of TV shows or movies in your iTunes library. Browsing the internet is absolutely awesome, I'm not sure of what phone you have currently but I bet the iPod Touch will blow it out of the water. I don't really use the photos feature because usually I have my laptop with me or I can just visit my DeviantART page. The iPod Touch is definitely a major upgrade and I bet that you'll be glad you bought it.

4. off in the wood thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the advice, I have one more question though

This maybe a dumb question but can you tell the difference between the iphone and the touch?

-I know that the obvious difference is that the iphone can make calls and the touch can't

-the touch is a little thinner than the iphone, what are the other differences?

Is anyone capable of seeing the difference between the two? if I hand you a iphone and a touch is there any noticeable difference between them, beside what I already mentioned? I know that the iphone has "iphone" engraved on the back, does the touch have "touch" engraved on it?

all my problems would be settled if verizon would just get the iphone already!!!

thanks for the clarification in advance

5. BrownManUPS macrumors 6502a

BrownManUPS

An iPhone has brushed metal on the back, a little shorter and stubbier (but not so much), while the touch has a typical iPod backing (glossy) and is a little longer and thinner

The touch can use wi-fi but does not have the EDGE network so internet capabilities are limited. It can't make calls, send texts, or have voicememos. It also does not have a speaker in it, so no listening to short clips of music without headphones. There is no bluetooth connectivity either.

That being said, most people ask me all the time if "that's an iPhone", because it all kinda is the same other than those inner differences and small outer differences that, with a case, can't be noticed.

But you know, there is a certain stigma with iPhone users I have noticed lately...anyone else see that?