Should i upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fall3n13, Jul 14, 2009.

  1. Fall3n13 macrumors newbie

    Jul 14, 2009
    Hello Everyone,

    Been a long time lurker but i decided to finally register and post.

    I currently own a 17 inch 1st Gen MBP.


    2.16 Intel Core Duo
    2GB of Ram
    120 GB HDD
    ATI X1600 256MB

    I just recently acquired it from a friend and he also included a new battery (only has 77 cycles currently)

    I'm pretty happy with it but my only worry is that it will eventually become slow/obsolete.

    I can't upgrade the ram on this model any higher and after moving my data, i am already starting to run low on space.

    On Craigslist in my area, 17 Al MBP are selling for around $1400-$1800.

    I was wondering if it would be worth selling this mac and upgrading to a 13" or 15" UMBP.

    I am a college student and i mostly use it for school, music, watching HD video, web browsing, and occasional programming/ alt OS installs (Getting degree in IT)

    I used to own a 17" PB G4 and a 2006 13" White MB. I've been happy with both and screen size is not a huge deal for me. I need it for portability and some decent power and longevity. I have built PC at home that handles the heavy stuff.

    So should i sell and upgrade or should i keep the classic?
  2. EmielS macrumors member

    Jul 8, 2009
    If you need the portability maybe you should get the new 13" MBP and get the 4GB ram.
  3. molala macrumors 6502a

    Oct 25, 2008
    Cambridge, UK
    Of course, it will eventually become slow/obsolete, no need to worry about that. The question is do you find it slow right now? And will you not miss the 17" screen?

    If you want faster, more HD space, and you can live with a 13" glass screen, then I suggest you sell and get the new 13" mpb. As you said, you don't need to add much more $$ to do this. You might even come out ahead.
  4. Fall3n13 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jul 14, 2009
    i understand that everything becomes slow/obsolete eventually. I mean that i was worried that the 17" might become that too quickly for me.

    Also the 17" screen is no big deal. My main PC at home has a 22" monitor and is also connected to my 32" HDTV.

    This is more of a need a quick web browse/ move around the house/ use in class pc
  5. Snowbound macrumors regular

    May 19, 2008
    For the usage habits you're describing, my vote definitely goes to selling it and getting a 13 or 15 uMBP with 4gb ram in either case. I think you'll be happier with that in the long run.
  6. ChocolateJesus macrumors member

    Jul 3, 2008
    +1 for selling it. As it's a first-generation Intel machine, it's gonna be prone to problems that, if they haven't shown up yet, eventually will. You'd be good to sell it before that happens.

    Also, the newest line of MacBook Pros (and even Macbooks, for that matter) are indeed very much faster than the CoreDuo macs. As such, you have a lot of freedom as to what you can choose to buy later.
  7. yaroldb macrumors 6502

    Feb 21, 2007
    Let's not forget Snow Leopard. Your current core duo will not be able to take advantage of the 64bit system. So most of the speed improvements will do little for your 17inch machine. I say sell it and get a new 15inch or look at the refurb UMBP. These are all Core2Duo and can run Snow Leopard nicely.

Share This Page