Should I Upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stixcom92, Sep 13, 2009.

1. stixcom92 macrumors newbie

So I have a macbook right now, but ever since I hackintoshed my netbook, I haven't really had a use for using it as a portable. Even before the netbook, it would stay in my studio for strict pro tools and other general computing. On the macbook, the wireless has gotten really iffy (tried all the fixes, still randomly drops out, after 3 routers), and the CD drive takes multiple attempts to spit out the disc. So onto the main question-

The macbook is running pro tools and the software fine, but it does have its share of problems. Should I

1. Wipe it clean?
    2. Upgrade to an iMac?
    3. Convert it into a desktop?
    4. do nothing?

Thanks.:apple:

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If you no longer need the portability, I'd go for a combination of 1 and 3.

Wipe it clean so that you've got a slimmed down install of OS X and be rid of everything you don't use. Then set it up as an desktop, installing only what you need.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

+1

Thats what I was going to suggest, once you reinstall OSX hopefully some of the problems you are experiencing will disappear. Invest a large screen and turn the macbook into a desktop with only the programs you need on.

4. stixcom92 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wiped it, but now it's worse. The wireless cuts out every 5 minutes, and the CD drive still won't eject on the first (or sometimes second) try, and I can't update it past 10.5.4 because of pro tools 7. I was offered a good price on a 1st gen iMac intel, but i don't know if that would be better.