Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
Hello everyone.
I have a 13' MacBook Air (2013). I absolutely love this thing, and I am starting to get annoyed by my hard case I have for it. It's great and all, looks cool and adds some color----but one of the reasons I love the air is cause it is so thin. I use my Air almost exclusively at home. It sits on my desk when not in use, and I use it usually in bed, at the desk, or around the house in different places. When bringing it out of the house I would definitely put the case on, and tote it around in my duffle bag, but for at home use, will I be ok without the hard case? Anyone else have Airs without cases? How do they hold up over time? I don't want to have a bunch of scratches and dents but I love having the air without a case.....

jadAce

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2013
I was exactly in the same situation as you - MacBook Air in hard case. I also kept it in a sleeve. In all honesty, the hard case just added extra bulk and weight to the otherwise-beautifully thin MacBook Air. So I took it off, and now, I just carry it in a sleeve. If you're careful while carrying it around, you shouldn't need the hard case (just a sleeve to prevent scratches). Depending on how often you take it out, it would be just tedious to put the hard case on and off each time you leave the house, so I would recommend just keeping it off.

Enjoy the MacBook Air - it feels much, much better to use without a hard case - use it the way it was intended to be used (thin and light).

Last edited:

jimboutilier

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2008
Denver
It depends on the care you take, your environments, and usage patterns.

I've been using Airs without cases since they came out and have never had any issue with scratches etc. If I'm transporting an Air in a bag without a dedicated compartment I will use a sleeve or envelope to prevent other objects from marring the Air though. And I will regularly wipe any dirt or grit off my Air with a soft damp cloth, and clean its screen - usually once a week or so.

On the other hand I've seen other folks who's Airs look like disasters when only months old - so what works for one might not work for others.

If you want some protection without adding bulk you might try something like Zagg's Invisible Shield - a grippy, thin, protective film.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
I just have a travel sleeve for mine to protect it from scratches. Unless you're in a hostile environment, I don't see the point of encasing it when it's sitting on a desk most of the time.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
I put a skin on.
This Matte one from Best Skins Ever.
http://www.bestskinsever.com/macbook-air-13-inch-skin-2010-2013-model

And I keep an Acme Made skinny sleeve in my bag to protect during transport:
http://www.acmemade.com/laptop-cases/the-skinny-sleeve-macbook

Handle

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2013
This whole thing never made sense to me.

Why would you use a case for a laptop??? Think about it. The only people who use a case for a laptop is people who spend the extra money on a laptop with a nice finish. But what's the point in having that nice finish if you never see it? Why would you cover up a beautiful looking device with a crappy case? Why have the beautiful looking device at all? Why not just get a laptop with a dinky plastic case?

Like you said, the MBA is very sleek, why add to the bulk?

Use your laptop, enjoy it. If you get a few scratches you can rest assured that it still looks better naked than it does with a case on it.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
I'm currently using a Moshi iGlaze in black and have gotten to the point that it's not noticeable when handling my 13" MBA. I've got the case on it as this machine is my travel companion and I want to protect it. 2 weeks after I installed the case it took a hit and the case is scarred - it did it's job.

Locoman

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2011
I use both. And, just bought an Air for my wife and got both for her too. Because, at some point in time i will take the Hardshell off and I want the Air to look nice.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 15, 2014
This whole thing never made sense to me.

Why would you use a case for a laptop??? Think about it. The only people who use a case for a laptop is people who spend the extra money on a laptop with a nice finish. But what's the point in having that nice finish if you never see it? Why would you cover up a beautiful looking device with a crappy case? Why have the beautiful looking device at all? Why not just get a laptop with a dinky plastic case?

Like you said, the MBA is very sleek, why add to the bulk?

Use your laptop, enjoy it. If you get a few scratches you can rest assured that it still looks better naked than it does with a case on it.

That is awesome advice; I have been using it without the case for a few days now and it is like I have a new laptop:D:cool::apple:

MrMacUser

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2014
I have a clear Incase hardshell which I find to be a good compromise between protection and aesthetics. While it is noticeably heavier and feels different, you can see the natural color of the laptop through the case. In the past, I used a neoprene sleeve (no hardshell) and just set my naked MBA on top of it when out of the sleeve. I found it cumbersome to take it in and out of the sleeve all the time and went with the hardshell for convenience.

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
I'm currently using a Moshi iGlaze in black and have gotten to the point that it's not noticeable when handling my 13" MBA. I've got the case on it as this machine is my travel companion and I want to protect it.

I have the same case, same usage scenario, and same reason to keep the case on it. So i guess what i'm saying is +1. :p

entropi

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
My wife uses a incase sleeve (the one with the "scuba fabric") for her mba 11". Her now four year old mba still looks and acts as new. The mba is in it self a solid, hard and light computer with no traditional delicate harddrive so an external hard case isn't necessary if you're not living somekind of rough life in harsh surroundings...

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
No way I would carry mine in the field everyday without it at least being in a sleeve. If nothing else it will prevent it getting scratched. I have had my laptop go from the back seat to the floor in the SUV several times and marry a scratch. I have to visit construction sites and if you are required to wear a hard hat, I would think the MBA deserves at least a soft case. Much depends on what you do but I have had wet concrete with rocks in it spill onto my laptop and was glad it was in a case.

Handle

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2013
No way I would carry mine in the field everyday without it at least being in a sleeve. If nothing else it will prevent it getting scratched. I have had my laptop go from the back seat to the floor in the SUV several times and marry a scratch. I have to visit construction sites and if you are required to wear a hard hat, I would think the MBA deserves at least a soft case. Much depends on what you do but I have had wet concrete with rocks in it spill onto my laptop and was glad it was in a case.

Using a sleeve, case, or bag while mobile is a good idea.

When you get where you are going, pull out the naked MacBook and use it.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
I'm currently using a Moshi iGlaze in black and have gotten to the point that it's not noticeable when handling my 13" MBA. I've got the case on it as this machine is my travel companion and I want to protect it. 2 weeks after I installed the case it took a hit and the case is scarred - it did it's job.

I also use a Moshie iGlaze and it really is nearly undetectable to me (mine is the "clear" version). Like yours, my 13" Air took a tumble (off a table on to a wooden floor) and although there is a small crack on the edge of the iGlaze, the Air is unscathed. I'm glad I had it on for protection. The iGlaze is one of the more expensive case options, but it is literally undetectable, adds very little in terms of bulk and actually can protect the Air not just from scratches, but dents from drops. The translucent version I have allows the beautiful design of the Air to still be appreciated. I couldn't be happier with the Moshie iGlaze.

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
My Air stays naked, I put it in a sleeve when transporting it and that it.

Its not going to get damage when its sat down on a desk with me using it!

MsMerryMac

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
On my old MBP, I had a Speck cover, which I hated. It made my Mac feel like a toy. When I got the MBA, I decided to go nekkid. I just slip it into a sleeve when traveling, otherwise, no issues with scratches. I figure if I get a nasty scratch I can always get a skin or a shell, but until then, I am enjoying the heck of of this machine as is.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
My computer has some scratches, but I don't really care. It's just a tool.

I do use a sleeve though when I put it away mostly to prevent shock damage (especially when I drop my bag onto the ground) and to keep dust out.

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Hello everyone.
I have a 13' MacBook Air (2013). I absolutely love this thing, and I am starting to get annoyed by my hard case I have for it. It's great and all, looks cool and adds some color----but one of the reasons I love the air is cause it is so thin. I use my Air almost exclusively at home. It sits on my desk when not in use, and I use it usually in bed, at the desk, or around the house in different places. When bringing it out of the house I would definitely put the case on, and tote it around in my duffle bag, but for at home use, will I be ok without the hard case? Anyone else have Airs without cases? How do they hold up over time? I don't want to have a bunch of scratches and dents but I love having the air without a case.....

I only use a hard case to travel, especially when going through airport security.:(

Handle

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2013
I agree with these words half and half. I won't choose a bulky case as a protector for my expensive 15“ inch Macbook Retina Pro. especially in office &at home. But sometimes we need to take it out or carry it on the way. I still prefer to choose some light sleeve ( like this one I have ) to keep my Pro clean. After the environment conditions is not so well as we once imagined.

I agree with that... as long as you sometimes use it naked.

It's the people who put the device into a case and never take it out that I don't understand. What's the point in having an expensive device then? What's the point in protecting the finish if you are never going to see it anyway?

To me, it's like the people who put plastic covers on their sofas. Sure, your sofa is protected, but why protect the nice sofa if all anyone sees is the plastic cover? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :D

mwa

Suspended
Jun 3, 2013
Memo: A Slower Seesaw!
I used to plague myself over my iPhone, I love the design but hated to think it's going to get banged up.

So i took it out of the case. My iPhone gets a hella less baby care taken with it than my laptop, and it still doesn't have a single nick or scratch on it. Screen protector is it.

So, unless you're planning on becoming a MacBook Air wielding vigilante, I wouldn't worry about not having it in a case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.