Should I use a palm guard?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alan shearer, Jul 9, 2015.

1. alan shearer macrumors newbie

I am aware that for the 15.4" MBP, there were concerns that one should not apply the palm guard.

Any idea for the retina macbook would there be similar concerns?

2. Dayv macrumors 6502

Why did people recommend against the palm guard on the MBP? Was it an issue of heat dissipation to monitor contact? If so, both of those would concern me on the rMB as well.

3. alan shearer thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand that there were issues that may damage the retina display, so was wondering if I should avoid it for the rMB as well.

4. Dayv macrumors 6502

If that's the concern, I'd hold off until someone else tries it or a review goes up for an rMB-specific one. This thing is constructed with very narrow clearance when it closes.

5. alan shearer thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree. so far I have resisted the temptation of putting on one...

6. Wallabe, Jul 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015

Wallabe macrumors 6502a

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V8ZOFZ2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

I bought set of protectors and it works great. I have the palm guard and it works fine. If you do apply it, you want to adjust it so that when the display is closed, the rubber seal of the Macbook touches the case, rather than the palm guard. The only thing I haven't applied to it is the trackpad guard. I like the feel of the trackpad.

With that said, I peeled off the palm guard. I prefer the metal contact, and not have to worry about bending my retina display or having the palm guard pushing against the display itself. The thickness of the palm guard is equal to or slightly thicker than the difference between the rubber seal and the retina display itself, so it will be pushing against the display, especially when you are pressing on the Macbook (holding it closed, carrying it around).

---

I bought this mainly for the exterior protection. For the palm rest, I can just clean it with water when I need to wipe it. The bottom of the case came out perfectly. It was the first thing I applied. The top part was perfect except for the Apple logo. The logo is not perfectly flushed with the case, so there is a bit of a "bubble" all around the logo. After about 3 days, it has shrunken, so it's not noticeable. Right now, it only has about a 1mm "bubble" all around the logo, but I'm satisfied. From a distance, it looks great, no flaws, and gives it a wet look.

If you do want to apply it, patience is important, as well as a clean, quiet work environment. Spend the time applying it and aligning it so it looks straight, and you'll love it. From the reviews, I can only assume some people expect this to go on easy and quickly. The quality of it depends on how much effort you put in.

The exterior protection is sufficient, at least in my case. The Macbook has a much narrower clearance between the display and the keyboard or bottom case compared to the Macbook Air or Macbook Pro. This Macbook definitely has a much tighter fit and finish compared to the MBA/MBP.