Should I Use Apple Maps As a New Driver? - Directions Turn Into Oncoming Traffic?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Apr 26, 2014.

1. MICHAELSD, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014

MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

As I'll be driving soon and am aiming to be as safe as possible (no recklessness here :cool:), I'm debating whether to use Apple's Map app at this point for turn-by-turn. The interface is great although I do find directions can still be lacking. I've had numerous experiences in iOS 6 with it misplacing movie theaters and restaurants, and I notice the path on the overview is sometimes on the wrong side of the road. If I wasn't going to use Apple Maps, I'd likely use a standalone GPS rather than paying for an app. Google Maps is of course a great alternative but interface and speech isn't up to par with Apple's Map app.

Is Apple Maps okay to use for someone new to driving that needs the guidance or is it still confusing locations?

As a test, I tried getting directions to a nearby outlet and based on the direction of the car in the image it seems to be making me turn into oncoming traffic? What's going on here...? The right-most lane (from image perspective) seems to be the correct way to go but apple hasn't nailed the exact path yet.

[​IMG]

2. Prospekt, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014

Prospekt macrumors regular

It's telling you to turn left. Where the red car is.

In normal mode (not hybrid or satellite mode) it will just tell you to turn left and expect you as a driver to know where lane is (like a garmin would). I find the directions and navigation to be pretty good in apple maps. It's the POIs that need work

3. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Yeah that's what it looks like although I couldn't tell which direction the car was facing. Just wish it didn't attempt to show which lane to turn into if it's incorrect a good amount of the time.

----------

Apple Maps actually seems superior to Google for this particular route since Google recognizes the outlet as my destination but leads me to a road outside of where I want to be.

[​IMG]

----------

Btw - does apple maps factor in tolls? Google seems useful for features like that.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You pay attention to the road and figure out which lane you need to be in. Navigation software is just an assistant; you still have to use common sense.

5. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It just seems like a missed opportunity since Garmin can indicate which lane to be in. Better off apple doesn't try specific paths if it's going to be this bad.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Neither Apple or Google are going to tell you which lane to be in. Just pay attention to the road.

I mean, people successfully navigated with paper maps for hundreds of years. You don't need your phone telling you which lane to be in.

7. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I don't except for on specific junctions. I'd settle for just a speedometer and speed limit posting. That feature alone seems to make a Garmin look worthwhile to save on a speeding ticket.

8. Mildredop macrumors 68020

I'm not sure if you're serious or not.

As a driver, it's your responsibility to know what lane to be in, what speed to be going etc. There's plenty of road markings and signs to inform you.

Next you'll be blaming your sat nav for not telling you a traffic light was on red or that you needed to change into 2nd gear.

To be honest, it sounds like you probably shouldn't be on the road at all.

9. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I'm probably just asking for too much out of a GPS. Those features didn't look appealing to me until I saw they've been on the Garmin for years.

I don't care about the lane feature but the speed limit alerts could be helpful.

10. I7guy, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014

I7guy macrumors G5

Forget about the gps right now. Learn how to drive. It will come together as you get experience behind the wheel. Until your muscle memory is able to drive a gps is a distraction, which you will learn to use over time.

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Watch the road. If you're looking at your phone or GPS to determine the speed limit and/or your speed, you're not paying attention to the road and that is dangerous.

12. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

I wouldn't recommend any navigation device for a new driver. The road is dangerous enough for a new driver; the last thing you need is yet another distraction.

If you are concerned about getting lost, print out a map from home and pull over into a parking lot to look at it if you need to. But when you're driving, pay attention to driving.

13. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

14. Adonys macrumors regular

please listen to this advice, it will save you and other commuters on the road.

15. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Exactly. Your brain and your eyes are the number one devices to use. People who get into trouble with these apps are the ones that don't think on their own.

And as a new driver your eyes and ears should be focused in the road, not some app.

16. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Don't expect any GPS to be 100% accurate for where you need to be. It's a guide and nothing more. You know which lane to be in by paying attention to the road and using the next instruction as a guide. If you just turned left and your next direction is to turn right, you need to be in the right lane if there is one.

But seriously if you get into a wreck because you thought Apple Maps was telling you to turn into oncoming traffic, the cop is going to laugh at you and tell you to get off your phone.

Eight years ago I managed with Google Maps printouts when I was learning to find things. Before that they had paper maps. You don't NEED a GPS to help you.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    OP, I see you're in NJ, land of wacky streets, and construction detours. So I can understand that you want GPS as an aid.

However, listen to everyone else. You should NOT have it in your hand, play with it, or blindly follow its instructions.

IF you're going to use it as an aid, PLEASE get a dash/windshield holder so your phone is held for you OUT of your reach.

Do NOT hold it. Do NOT put in your console. Do NOT have it flopping around in your lap. ONLY touch it or enter things into it, while you're safely STOPPED somewhere.

--

PS. The DUMBEST thing I see people up here do, is try to zip across lanes to follow their GPS or to hit a missed exit. Listen up: it's OKAY to go to the next exit and turn around, or find a different way.

Good luck!

18. bniu macrumors 6502a

Like others said, your GPS is simply an aid, you're still the one responsible for driving. Apple Maps is fine for big picture directions, but you shouldn't trust it blindly. There have been times where I will ignore Apple Maps and intentionally miss a turn, or a take an earlier turn, and the beauty is Apple Maps will then adjust and give you new directions based on where you turned. You're the master, Apple Maps is your servant.

19. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Surprised you didn't complain how it didn't tell you to move your foot to break and stop at each light. As others said the gps just helps you get to where you need to go, if you drive into oncoming traffic because there's a line that is drawn there you shouldn't be driving a car to begin with.

20. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

21. 869639 macrumors 6502

Just use common sense and take all precautions....cant rely on technology to the point you become blind....its like cars with back up cameras.....its only there to help you so don't jus look at that, instead do turn your head, check ur surroundings and continue looking back while reversing the vehicle.

As a long time I would say its horrible for anyone to start looking at GPS systems to tell you what lanes to be in, instead use it as guidance to know where your going and not the lanes you should be in...pay attention to the road signs because they are there for a reason, so if your GPS says turn left, turn left IF YOU THINK ITS SAFE (common sense once again is required to perform such action).....

take advise from me and others, use it as guidance and pay attention to all road signs and follow all traffic laws at all times.

22. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Your car has a speedometer, and the road has posted speed limit signs... Though navigon does have what you want (I bought it back before google or apple had iOS turn by turn).

23. PM-Performance macrumors 6502

Left hand turns in jersey? I smell a troll here!
    Lol jk. I couldn't resist

Anyway. As said above you still need to watch traffic and lanes and such. Just be glad these apps get updated and you don't have onboard nab on your car that may be outdated. That's when things get fun

24. Merkie macrumors 68020

Apple Maps is great for navigation. I love the clean and clear interface. No distractions. I almost exclusively use Apple Maps for navigation.

25. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Agreed.

If the OP can not figure this out, you got to wonder how they will get through life.:rolleyes: