Should I Use Boot Camp Just for Games?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by matt1219, Nov 22, 2008.

1. matt1219 macrumors regular

Hi, I ordered the iMac listed in my sig (Under Coming Soon) on Thursday and it's coming on Wednesday. I have a copy of XP already, so I don't need to buy anything, and I was just wondering, is it worth using Boot Camp if mostly only used for some games? I noticed that the new Call of Duty game is not for Mac right now, and I don't have a 360 or PS3 so I can't enjoy it fully. (I have Wii, PS2, and DS. =P)When I read about Boot Camp, I started to get interested because if I used the dual booter it would have the same specs as the Mac. I want to get Spore too, but if I do this, I might as well just get it for PC. I know that was a lot to swallow. What do you think?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I only used Windows for The Orange Box until I got the Cider ports of those games. It's Cider... ugh... but it's OS X, so no complaints.

Many, if not most of the people who use Boot Camp only use it for games.

3. matt1219 thread starter macrumors regular

That's good to know. I would never use virtualization because that really brings down the speed and uses lots of RAM to run Windows and Mac together.

4. DaveF macrumors 6502a

Sure, why not? If you want to use BootCamp for games, then use it. There's nothing wrong about using BootCamp solely for games. No one will judge you for not doing "real work" with it. :)

And I use BootCamp solely for Half Life Orange Box and Bioshock. We use Parallels for MS Money.

5. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

I have to agree with Dave, there's nothing wrong with using Boot Camp for gaming. I use Boot Camp for playing C&C:The First Decade (Box set), and to play ABC episodes. They seem to work better in Windows than Mac OS X for some reason. :(

I have done some surfing while in Boot Camp, but that was so limited because I hate IE 7. And Safari on Windows is a little flaky at times. (I know I can use FireFox, I just don't like surfing on the PC. LOL) :D

Hugh

6. LurchNC macrumors regular

That is what I'm doing as well.

I resisted as long as I could. Putting Windows on a Mac just seemed wrong and dirty. lol. My PC is aging and started struggling with running the racing sims I enjoy, so I figured buying Vista x64 Ult OEM was a lot cheaper than building a new PC.

I'm running GTR2, GTR Evo, GTL and just joined iRacing (which will probably obsolete the others.. it's really good :) ) on my Mac Pro and they run very well. Much better than I expected actually.

Bootcamp was much easier to set up than I expected as well.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I like to race around Boot Camp too.

DiRT and Grid are just so cool!

Looking at iracing.com, I thik I will give it a try! Tnx for the heads up, LurchNC :)