Should I use "Clean My Mac?"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by noahjohnson, Sep 17, 2010.

1. noahjohnson macrumors newbie

Hello there, I'm new to this Forum so if this is the incorrect place to post this thread please be understanding.

I am a new mac user. After five years of PC's I have chosen to return to my roots and purchase an iMac. Now i have had this iMac for nearly eight months and have had no problems. However, I came across an app called "Clean My Mac." And naturally wanting to keep my brand new machine in the best condition possible I downloaded the free trail.

After I used it to scan my mac it came back telling me that I have over 1.4 GB of files that should be deleted to maximize my performance and prevent future problems. It said that I should delete 580 MB worth of Caches, 12.66 MB of Logs, 19.24 MB of Language files, 209.25 MB of Universal Binaries, 187.54 MB of System Junk, and 916 KB of Leftovers.

Now Like I said I want to keep my iMac in the best shape I can. So I want to get the advice of others before I potently make a mistake. Is it wise to get rid of all these files? And what are the risks and benefits of preforming this kind of maintenance?

I feel slightly foolish for being so nervous over making a decision like this. But I thought it would be a good idea to get advise from more experienced Mac users.

Thank you in advance for your help!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Mac OS X has its own daily, weekly and monthly maintenance routine, thus such software is not needed, at least I don't use it on my Macs and they feel still quite snappy.

You can delete the cache though if you want, I don't know about the Language Files and the Universal Binaries, as more information is needed there.

Btw, Onyx is a free and often recommended alternative for doing stuff Clean My Mac doesn't do for free.

And if I remember correctly, I saw a thread, where CMM did some damage to someone's system.

MRoogle about CLEAN MY MAC

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's not really necessary, especially given your iMac's HD is most likely 500 GB+.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much

5. noahjohnson thread starter macrumors newbie

Glad that I checked in with you guys first. Thank you for your input!