Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

legaleye3000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
I've heard people having problems with it (across all versions of macOS). Just wondering if lately its been working fine. Does it cause any performance degradation? Thanks.

SketchyClown

macrumors regular
I enabled it today.

So far performance wise, it is fine.

However there is an UGLY glitch when you boot up the computer.

Previously, with FV enabled, and you reboot, you get to the FV Login screen which would display your current wallpaper as its background, you log in, and a progress bar appears on the wallpapered screen until you reach the desktop. Looks great, as it should be.

Now with Mojave, currently when you reboot, you are greeted with the "Mojave Day" default picture which seems unable to be changed, then you log in, then the screen glitches and you get the old black screen with the white Apple logo & progress bar until you reach your desktop. BLEH!

It truly looks ugly and clunky. Surprised they released it like that.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I've been using FileVault for a while now, but I don't recall there being any noticeable difference in performance after turning it on. Maybe logging in takes a second longer, as best I can remember.

Reactions: jagooch

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I enabled it today.

So far performance wise, it is fine.

However there is an UGLY glitch when you boot up the computer.

Previously, with FV enabled, and you reboot, you get to the FV Login screen which would display your current wallpaper as its background, you log in, and a progress bar appears on the wallpapered screen until you reach the desktop. Looks great, as it should be.

Now with Mojave, currently when you reboot, you are greeted with the "Mojave Day" default picture which seems unable to be changed, then you log in, then the screen glitches and you get the old black screen with the white Apple logo & progress bar until you reach your desktop. BLEH!

It truly looks ugly and clunky. Surprised they released it like that.

I have this login behavior as well. After logging in, the progress bar will slide about halfway on the screen with the background, and then switches over to the apple logo where the progress bar slides the rest of the way and boots into my desktop.

Is it confirmed that this is a glitch with Mojave and affects everyone? I can't remember for certain, but it seems like I had a similar behavior when upgrading from Sierra to High Sierra (where I couldn't change the background and the screen switched to the apple logo), and the issue went away after doing a clean install of High Sierra. I upgraded from High Sierra to Mojave, but don't really have the time right now to see if this issue goes away with a clean install of Mojave.

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I'm also seeing the blackout screen during boot and I have FV enabled. It doesn't bother me much since I don't reboot often. But it does look very un-Apple.

P.S. To answer the OP's question, I have FV enabled on my iMac and any removable drive that I use for backups. I haven't noticed any degradation in performance, and I find it to be an important security measure.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm also seeing the blackout screen during boot and I have FV enabled. It doesn't bother me much since I don't reboot often. But it does look very un-Apple.
I getting this also with FV under Mojave. It does not seem to harm anything though. Odd bug.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
I've heard people having problems with it (across all versions of macOS). Just wondering if lately its been working fine. Does it cause any performance degradation? Thanks.
I have used FV since the beginning and now with Mojave (even all beta versions). Never had any problems and I see no downside in speed (but that could be beacause I have used it for so many years that I don’t know what I’m missing *smile*).

jagooch

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2009
Denver, co
It's been working fine with a 2015 Macbook Pro running High Sierra. I haven't installed Mojave yet.
Ok, Mojave with Filevault is working fine. Boot up time is slower, but that has always been the case as the drive is decrypted after enter your login credentials.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.