Should I use iMovie HD 6 or Final Cut Express?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Quincer5000, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Quincer5000 macrumors newbie

I heard that you could get iMove 6 in HD. But then I am considering buying FCE. I don't know if I should keep imovie 6 or buy a $200 program. I am using the canon hf100 in highest quality mode.

P.S.
    I don't have alot of $$$.

THanks in advance!

2. heron88 macrumors 6502

FCE is quite a bit superior to imovie but I would recommend, if you do decide to purchase final cut, search amazon first. I saved $70+ compared to buying from apple.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What do you plan to do with it?

Home videos? Keep iMovie HD.

Something more serious? FCE, but search for a good deal.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

How serious are you about editing? How much time are you willing to spend learning? iMovie is made for the user who wants to do very simple work all on one track and who does not want to invest much time learning about software.

FCE is for the anyone who is more serious and needs a multi track editor and is willing to spend the hours studying.

FCP uses the same user interface as FCE but is aimed at professionals.

5. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

iMovie HD supports source resolutions up to 1440x1080 (HDV). Your camcorder records at 1920x1080.

6. macman7002 macrumors regular

If you can afford it, go for FCE!!! I much prefer it over iMovie '06 & '08. There are some really good video tutorials online that can really help if you are not familiar with the whole Final Cut look/feel!

-MacMan7002

7. heron88 macrumors 6502

And Final Cut really isnt as hard to learn as everybody makes it seem. Just drop some video clips into the timeline and experiment with everything, click on all the buttons and see what they do. Thats the technique I followed and after about a week of just messing around with it I pretty much had it down.

8. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

iMovie HD wont import AVCHD files, so you will need iMovie 08 or FCP to use that camera.

9. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

If you already have iMovie 8, you can download iMove 6HD for free. I tried FCE and went back to iMovie after I found plugins from geethree. Awesome plugins. Now if your doing professional stuff, get FCE. Steep learning curve but worth it. I just do family stuff so didn't need the power of FCE. Am hoping for apple to update all there video editing programs to support AVCHD fully. I own a Sony SR11. Don't know that many who own blu ray players so don't mind the down convert. My video is still great and the plugins I bought look very professional. Go check out http://www.geethree.com and see for yourself.

10. Quincer5000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll start w/ imovie 06' until I can afford FCE. I am doing home movies + short films.... so I think I'll be better off w/ FCE for future purpose. If you have anymore advice about the programs or the camcorder, type! I can use any advice. Thanks for it!

Quincer5000