Should I use mouse or trackpad on my MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steve9856, Feb 26, 2015.

1. steve9856, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2015

steve9856 macrumors newbie

Hi have just bought a 13inch MacPro,i am coming from a MacMini and i am finding it hard to get used to the trackpad.
    Should i try to persevere or start using my mouse.

Thanks Steve....

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You bought a MacBook Pro, not a Mac Pro. Some people prefer mice; some prefer trackpads. Use whichever works better for you.

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Stick with it, the trackpad is excellent on the MBP`s, once you convert you will never look back, I even use the BT track pads way more ergonomic than a mouse.

Q-6

4. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

Stick with it.

I've recently received a new 13" rMBP myself. I've used desktop Macs forever and never thought I'd add a laptop because the trackpad is nowhere near as precise as a mouse. But I decided I wanted a mobile complement to my Mac Pro and the iPad just didn't measure up.

I've been playing with it for a couple weeks now, and I'm getting used to moving around the screen, scrolling and all the other trackpad techniques. It's different from the mouse, and still not as precise. In fact, when I need to do tight work in Illustrator or Photoshop, I keep my mouse handy.

But for most normal work (browsing, writing, etc.) I'm adapting to the trackpad method very well. It takes time, but it's worth it to learn something new once in a while.

5. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

The trackpad is awesome once you get use to it. I would practice the demonstrations they give under "trackpad" in settings. I learned from those videos.

6. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

7. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

The trackpad on the MBPs are amazing. I used to use a mouse when I had my Sony Vaio years ago because I hated the textured trackpad it was horrible to use and kept hurting my fingertips if I had to swipe the mouse over. However, the MBPs trackpads are smooth and so accurate, plus I love how you could easily scroll through pages simply by using two fingers! I haven't used a mouse for my rMBP and I don't intend to since the trackpad does its job perfectly!

8. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I use a Magic Mouse, but then, that's because I use it in clamshell mode almost all the time.

But even when it's popped up, I still use the mouse, because ergonomically it feels better for my hands.

9. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

What kind of monitor are you using?

10. Meister Suspended

Meister

It's a matter of personal preference and the apps you are using.
    I like the trackpad, but a mouse is better for precision in Ps, Lr and the likes.
    Having both options is always good.

11. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Sharp PN-K322B 32" 4K multitouch monitors for my nMPs and Dell S2240L 21.5" 1080p displays for the rMBPs.

12. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I have that exact same dell! And a couple others but I love the s22240L. How do you like the 4K multitouch? Can you use it with Mavericks?

13. vbedia macrumors regular

First things first, I have never used a better trackpad like those on the Apple laptops. However, I am very fond of my mouse. I can't get the same accurate precision with the trackpad.

I use both; most of the time I move the pointer with the mouse, but sometimes I use the trackpad to pinch in and out on some photos.

14. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

For me it's mouse at home, trackpad anywhere else. I personally can't stand the trackpad on the MBP.

15. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I don't use Mavericks :)

16. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I meant does the touchscreen work with Mavericks/Yosemite? Like instead of using a mouse to click on safari and I just tap on it? That'd be cool :cool:

Basically, what can the multitouch used for?

17. Meister Suspended

Meister

This is actually a good question. I've been looking for an external touchscreen for OSX, too. I couldn't find one.

18. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Yosemite works fine on my Sharp PN-K322B, with multitouch being fully supported.

I use it in 3D design and modelling.

19. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

This is the coolest thing I've heard all week. I'll definitely be keeping my eye on this monitor. It's very expensive but when it goes on sale or comes down in price I want one.

20. Meister Suspended

Meister

Thank you. Just saw that this screen is 5.5k€ here :eek:

Do you know any other screen that would support Multitouch for OS X?
    Preferably between 21" and 27" inches and 1080p to 2560x1440? I recently purchased a HannsG 24" 1080p, but it only supports touch for Win8.1 and you might remember my thread where I couldn't get bootcamp to run. :mad: I would also much prefer OS X anyway. Would be awesome if you would know of such a screen. TN panel is not a problem either. The Hanns G was TN and looked very good!

21. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The Acer T232HL works fine from 10.8 and up, but you'll have to install some drivers from touch-base.com

The UPDD TUIO.app provided by touch-base.com will let you receive raw TUIO multitouch data in max with udpreceive or TUIOClient external.
    then, if you want to control Max UI objects with your multitouch screen, you can do it with MMF : http://www.mathieuchamagne.com/category/code/mmf/

The Wacom Cintiq is also lovely, but it's really pricey too and not worth the price unless you do designing and drawing for a living.

Further reading: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4883897?start=15&tstart=0

22. Meister Suspended

Meister

Thx. Great sources and suggestions!