Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aftermath747

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2015
I’ve been using my 11” iPad Pro as my primary computer for a while now and I love it, but I really miss having a MacBook. My biggest considerations are the keyboard and the processor. I’m one of the rare people who prefers the butterfly switch so I’d like to get that in my next MacBook. The keyboard in the 16” is fine, but I still prefer the butterfly. As for the processor, I’m sure an upgrade with 10th gen processors is coming relatively soon. That could allow me to find some great sales on the current model. What do you guys think?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I’ve been using my 11” iPad Pro as my primary computer for a while now and I love it, but I really miss having a MacBook. My biggest considerations are the keyboard and the processor. I’m one of the rare people who prefers the butterfly switch so I’d like to get that in my next MacBook. The keyboard in the 16” is fine, but I still prefer the butterfly. As for the processor, I’m sure an upgrade with 10th gen processors is coming relatively soon. That could allow me to find some great sales on the current model. What do you guys think?

Personnally I would have a hard time putting good money into a brand new MBP with a butterfly Keyboard at this time. So if you want to go that way, I suggest you look at finding an Apple refurbished at a substantial discount.

Another option is buy shares of Apple, rather than the computer. I have been doing that for years and can buy pretty much anything Apple makes with my annual increase in share value.;)

GoldfishRT

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2014
Somewhere
If that is what you want to spend your refund on then why not. I would watch BestBuy when they finally update the 13". You'll probably get a solid 20% off on the normal models and maybe up to 40% on the higher end configs.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Aftermath747

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 16, 2015
If that is what you want to spend your refund on then why not. I would watch BestBuy when they finally update the 13". You'll probably get a solid 20% off on the normal models and maybe up to 40% on the higher end configs.
That’s the direction I’m leaning. I just wonder how long Apple will take to update it.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Apple refurb is pretty close to new. Comes in a plain white box. But other than that they look new and have the same warranty.
Actually, they come in boxes that are pretty close to regular now. My current MacBook Pro 13” is refurbished. They used to come in basic shipping boxes (I had a refurbished Air in 2012).
[automerge]1580094463[/automerge]
That’s the direction I’m leaning. I just wonder how long Apple will take to update it.
For reference, I was seeing discounts of up to $250 on Black Friday and shortly before Christmas. I would expect to see similar discounts on 2019 models when the 2020s are released.

Right now, Adorama has a $400 discount on the 12” MacBook with 512GB. If you don’t need the quad-core processor, you might consider it. They are the last mainstream retailer that has them (other than Apple refurbished).

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I just got my wife a new (refurbished store) MBP 13, 512GB SSD and 16GB Ram, significant saving, even if the new 14" comes along the cost of the same spec will be painful. The keyboard may not be the best but willing to take a punt on it given the savings.

Cosmo M3

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2010
I just purchased a refurbed 13" MBP (2019) with 16GB RAM and 256GB SSD at a nice discount vs. new. The laptop is pretty much brand new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.