Should i use my USB Mic Preamp to replace my iMac sound card?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maf2k8, Apr 10, 2012.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

I have been using a ART USB Dual Mic Preamp for some guitar recording on my iMac. I mainly use Garageband and select the USB preamp ( where my mic is plugged into that is mic'ing my cab )

The preamp has a 2nd set of inputs ( other then the mic/instrument inputs and also has monitor out.

I have the OUTPUT of my iMac going into a small 4 channel mixer and 2 monitors plugged into the mixer ( nothing else )

Today, i decided to plug the monitors into the monitor out on the Mic pre and select the USB pre amp as the systems Audio Out in preferences on my iMac and i was using the Mic pre as my sound card basically..

Wonder if there are any Pros or Cons to doing this? I can eliminate the pointless mixer i have sitting on my desk for 1 and rather then using the iMac built in sound card ( which i have no clue what it is ) i am using the USB mic external preamp as a sound card ( its the ART USB DUAL MIC PRE )

any thoughts on doing this?

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

There's no problem doing that at all. You're probably getting a better audio signal with the USB device. Eliminating the mixer will improve the sound, also.