should i use time machine or something else

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ceasetoexist, Mar 28, 2008.

1. ceasetoexist macrumors member

i need to backup everything in my system, so i can format it (i have issue with partitioning disk for bootcamp). i want to have things like channel strip settings, presets of plugins in logic and similar stuff saved.

should i backup my system with time machine or use those utilities that make an image of your disk?

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Either will work. If you want more granular backups that allow for file recovery like Time Machine does, then use that. If not, use something else.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

For that specific need I would use Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper. It'll save you time in the end when you copy the image back to the drive. Time Machine is really slow for that process from what I've read.

4. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Another +1 for Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper if you're looking to reformat and then just restore from that backup after repartitioning.

Afterwards I would use Time Machine. Originally I didn't think much of it, because I had my own home-brewed backup solution. Now that I have given it a try, I don't think I could ever look elsewhere. I don't have to ever need to worry about doing backups myself and the ability to look back in time and restore files is extremely useful.

5. ceasetoexist thread starter macrumors member

thanks a lot. just copying things with carbon cloner.

after i format disk, can i install leopard just with that one disc labeled leopard update or is it really just an update and i need to install tiger first?

6. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I use both. SuperDuper! runs nightly so that I always have a current & bootable backup of my main hard drive. I make manual Time Machine backups a few times a day, especially when I'm in a "hard drive cleaning" mode so that I can restore individual files easily if I need to.