Should I wait for 2012 MBP 15" or buy now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by baaadboy, Aug 1, 2011.

  1. baaadboy macrumors member

    Sep 20, 2010
    I need a new mac for myself and the current MBP 15" will be more than enough for what I do. But I will probably feel bad when a new case redesign comes out just a few months after I buy it.

    Or should I just buy the new 2011 Air 13"?
    Both the Air and MBP 15 have the same resolution so either one will be fine with me, but extra power of the MBP while not required would be nice, since I am a programmer.

    Please help
  2. p3gamer macrumors newbie

    Jul 26, 2008
    I've decided to wait.

    I fight this urge everyday. I have a late 2008 unibody entry-level MacBook and have maxed it out as much as I can. Running virtualization is slow for me, so I have to use Bootcamp. I use Xcode 4 and really haven't had any problems with performance.

    Why I am waiting:

    - I would like a Thunderbolt display, but that isn't ready for another 6-8 weeks.
    - Not many Thunderbolt drives out yet (waiting on companies like LaCie).
    - I am not ready for a MacBook Air (even though they are beautiful machines).
    - I too, may feel bad for not waiting a bit longer.

    The 2011 MBPs have been out for almost 6 months. I can wait another 6-8 months. When those MBPs come out, another batch of people will contemplate waiting for the late 2012/early 2013 model, and so on, and so on.
  3. designs216 macrumors 65816


    Oct 26, 2009
    Down the rabbit hole
    Save your dough and wait for the 2012 MBP début. If that underwhelms, you can get a great deal on the 2011 model from the refurb bin.
  4. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601


    May 10, 2010
    Me too, waiting for 2012 ... With all those rumors of new cases ... Plus wasn't there a rumor about a sucessor of SandyBridge ? I skip 2011, keep the pocket money together to blow out of window in 2012

Share This Page