Should I Wait for 2nd generation touch?!/

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by CactusChef, Sep 20, 2007.

1. CactusChef macrumors member

Please, before you all say, "Yes, go and get one, all week 38 iPod's are good, the screen issue seems to be over" and whatnot... I just want to ask the following:

Do you think there will be any vast improvements/enhancements on the second generation that aren't available on the first generation? I know we won't see the second generation at least until next year (but I can wait).

During the course of the first gen, I'm sure they might decide to update the calender/contact applications that everyone was talking about, but those can currently be upgraded by just a firmware update. I'm just wondering if you think they will add any external features on the next gen.

Do you think we will see the following on maybe the second generation?

- More memory (Though 16 is fine for me, I'd like a little more, possibly 32)
    - A manual volume knob on the iPod touch (like the iPhone, so you dont have to really look to change the volume)
    -Possibly external speakers (though that don't really bother me)

Theres a few more, but I know if I wanted those features and had to get one RIGHT NOW, I'd get an iPhone, but as I said, I can wait.

Do you think any of these would be on the next generation? Should I get one now, or should I just wait and see what turns up for the next gen?

-CactusChef

2. phillipsm macrumors newbie

Personally, I can foresee just a capacity boost and mabye a price drop in the next generation. It really depends if 16Gb is enough for you. For me it is, and now the screen issues seem to have cleared I'm going to order one.

Just my 2c

3. --Wolf-- macrumors regular

Up to you.

If memory is a problem, def wait.
    If any of the apps are a problem (calanders etc) then they will be hacked, so no need to wait on them.
    External volume button, really needed? No. Good to have? Yes.

In the end, like I said, it's up to you. We really have no idea where the Touch will go from here.

4. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

This is what I do I wait as long as I can and once the wait gets overwhelming I buy what I need. :D

5. CactusChef thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, thats the same thing I do. Only it's kind of getting overwhelming a little too quick (thats how it was when I bought my nano), but this time I think I'm going to have to wait until Christmas. Because the last mp3 player I had before my nano was a 32mb (yes, megabyte)...and I needed a little more room.

6. zirk macrumors newbie

you want volume control?
    then buy this thing
    [​IMG]
    you can buy them at ebay

7. CactusChef thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I have those things....somewhere, though I don't use it cause I can't stand the extra cord (though I could shorten the cable). That wasn't really so much an issue though, I saw that some people were mentioning it so I threw it in there. But thanks for the advice, I'll probably have to dig mine out if I do buy a touch :)

I think I was just more or less asking what you people would like to see on the second generation in the examples.

8. AppleFan08 macrumors member

Should you just make your own decision!?/ yes.

9. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

You can play this kind of waiting game until your wait yourself into oblivion (believe me, I have. For example, I've never had an ipod, just used a palm pilot).

Sure, something can be said about not getting a 1.0 generation product, but the ipod isn't new, and neither is the iphone.

If you did that after generation 5.0 was released, and then 5.5, then this ipod is such a huge leap that there will likely not be a similar leap for a long time. This may be the best time to buy one.

If you use it at least semi-regularly over the next year, then the benefits you gain will far outreach your losses (remember, regardless of the next upgrade, you won't have any of that in the next year either), and you can always sell an ipod for a decent price on ebay.

BOTTOM LINE: If you need an mp3 player, or you want a video player or something that can access the internet, there is no better time than now (unless you're going to switch to AT&T in 4 months, although there's alot to be said against an iphone (costs and call quality, etc.)). If you have a good mp3 player and you really only want to listen to music, then you might as well wait.

10. California King macrumors 65816

I highly doubt they're going to put external speakers. They'll probably update the current iPod touch. My guess is around November-February. They'll probably put a 30GB HDD and possibly a 60GB and maybe some applications they left out.

If you can wait, then you'll definitely get a better iPod, but I definitely don't have the patience to even wait more than a month.

11. pina-p9 macrumors newbie

pina-p9

Well, I would.

The 2nd generation will probably have all the features that the iPhone has, possibly more, so yeah I'd say wait.

And for those guys that defend the touch by saying "its just an mp3 player" thats what the Classic is for. The touch was supposed to be the iPhone without the phone, but Apple took so much good stuff out, no way is the 16gb worth the $400

12. CactusChef thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I can see it having more features (with the lack of the phone and possibly camera). I can see the iPod Touch being updated with applications in due time (way before the second generation release). Also, there is a lot of room left on that main screen for extra icons/applications which makes me to believe that there will almost definitely be many additions. If thats all the icons/applications Apple intended there to be on the screen I'm sure they would have made them bigger so that they would fill up the whole screen (so it would seem like it isn't lacking anything).

I also agree with what you said about the price. For $400, I can now get an iPhone (albeit 4gb). But I do understand all the the newer technology that does go into the phone/iPod touch does add up, but like all technology, it becomes outdated quickly which kind of brings me back to my original post as why I should wait (and yes, I realize thats all up to me).

13. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

THIS is the current model for the holidays, and virtually no chance of an upgrade before then. Apple never updates its ipods that fast.
    A tiny chance of an upgrade at Macworld 2008 if the iphone gets one, and another small chance if the iphone gets upgraded in June 2008.

Most likely, we're looking at a september release in time for the 2008 holiday season, on schedule will MANY previous releases

Plus, there is a very small chance of any soon to be hard drive in the ipod touch because 1.) Apple loves its tiny size, 2.) it wouldn't be fast enough for the operating system and multi-touch (already problems in the comparitively basic 6g ipod classic) and 3.) the cost of a hard drive plus the necessary flash memory for the operating system and features like cover flow would really cut into Apple's profit margins, which they have proved (nano costs about $58 to make and sells for $149) they care about over pretty much everything (even $100 apple store refund does not cost nearly $100 for them let alone $100. If you buy a new nano with it you give them $50 in cash, give up your $100 certificate, and they've only lost $8 for the remaining hardware cost of the nano. They may make money if you buy a more expensive device).

Software releases are another question, and those can be applied to previously purchased devices (until they release a new model and only tailor software to that). Hopefully Apple will add iphone software functions like mail and maps soon, although I wouldn't cross my fingers.

My suggestions: buy one with a good return policy (Best Buy: 30 days no restocking-fee, Target.com: 90 days restocking fee, Costco: 90 day no restocking fee), see if you could live without it, and see how software hacks progress.

Since Bluetooth seems unlikely and somewhat unneccesary (they won't want to open up skype potential), a larger resolution screen doesn't seem too close in the future, and it will be a year before 32 gb memory becomes affordable, it doesn't open up a whole lot for ipod touch hardware upgrades in the near future. I'd guess that the next upgrade will be more like the ipod 5.5g upgrade with better battery, more storage, added software, and perhaps a slightly faster processor. If that's worth loosing out on a year of very good functionality, then wait, although I'd remind you that if you buy one now and replace in 2-3 years then you'll have that 2009/2010 generation far sooner than if you wait. EVERYTHING can get pushed back.