Should I wait for an iMac with OSX 10.9 ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by LoveRachael, Apr 4, 2013.

  1. LoveRachael macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2013
    #1
    Should I wait for an iMac with OSX 10.9 as the default / factory setting OS ?
    Please advice ?
    Does it matter ?

    If I buy an iMac with OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion then upgrade to 10.9.
    Then decided to reformat the iMac in the future, will the OS of the iMac be 10.8 or 10.9 ?
     
  2. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #2
    It will be 10.9, since you probably use the Recovery Partition, which automatically will offer your 10.9. If not, you can always save the downloaded installer of 10.9, or redownload it again, since you already bought it.

    As 10.9 is not out yet and there are no news about it, just get the current Mac, unless you do not mind waiting till Autumn.
     
  3. justperry macrumors 604

    justperry

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2007
    Location:
    In the core of a black hole.
    #3
    The only "issue" is if you buy now you have to pay for 10.9 which is most likely only ~$20.

    I could understand waiting months for better Hardware but not for 10.9 for that amount of money.
     
  4. Johnf1285 macrumors 6502a

    Johnf1285

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2010
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #4
    You would probably be waiting until the Q3 2013 for an updated iMac if I had to take a guess, for Haswell and appropriate GTX/GT 700m series GPUs (unless Apple shifts to AMD HD 8000m series).

    But I would imagine a potential speed bump and maybe even some more CTO options before that time on the 2012 model.

    The nice thing is, you won't be in the situation that previous prospective buyers were in last year. They were in a situation where a speculated redesign was to be announced, so buying a 2011 or a 2012 was a huge difference.
     
  5. Omne666 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2010
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #5
    Actually there is some news...delays expected .....as they're taking resources from that team to get the next iOS version out.

    I wouldn't wait for it to buy the iMac...there no hardware change expected for at least 6 months.
     
  6. simsaladimbamba

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2010
    Location:
    located
    #6
    I figured, just like with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard I guess.
     
  7. xgman macrumors 601

    xgman

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2007
    #7
    It doesn't matter at all and I heard today that 10.9 was set back to work on ios 7 anyway.
     
  8. mlsusa macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 17, 2012
    #8
    Like others have said no point waiting if all you're worried about is the next version of OSX is around the corner. Plus in the past Apple gave a free upgrade to people who bought so close to a new version getting released (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2407550,00.asp). I'd think they'd do the same this time around as well.
     

Share This Page