Should I Wait for an Unlocked 6?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gsusser, Sep 20, 2014.

1. gsusser macrumors regular

I have 2 questions.

1. What's the difference between factory unlocked and unlocked by the carrier? Fyi, mine was unlocked by AT&T. When you buy unlocked new, do you have to indicate GSM or CDMA, etc. When do the unlocked models typically come out?

2. I want to buy the 6, not the plus. I'd like to know if the following makes sense financially...

I have a 5 month old unlocked 5s, 64gb. I want the 128gb 6. I haven't seen any prices yet for unlocked but I'm guessing it'll go for about $1000. Going by eBay completed listings, I can get $400 to $500 for my 5s. Assuming I got $400, does it pay to get a factory unlocked version? The subsidized price of what I want is $400. So, assuming all my numbers are more or less correct, it would cost me an additional $200 to buy unlocked rather than a subsidized model.

If I don't buy unlocked, in all likelihood I will keep my 5s rather than selling it. I travel internationally and would use it for that purpose.

Thanks!

2. illutionz macrumors 65816

No difference between factory unlocked and unlocked by carrier.

There is already unlocked iPhone 6 right now. It's the carrier free T-Mobile model you can purchase it on Apple.com website or their stores. it comes with T-mobile SIM but it is UNLOCKED. Everyone here has confirmed it and I am planning to use AT&T on my new phone (mine is the 6+) for a while before switching over to T-Mobile.

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

this, it just cant be used with cdma carriers.

4. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

The Verizon iPhones are factory unlocked for any gsm network.

5. gsusser thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I'm still a little confused. The Apple site lists a "contract-free" T-Mobile phone, $849 for the 6 and 128gb. It does not say unlocked. I called apple and had to speak with a supervisor to get the skinny. I would never trust T-Mobile since everyone there sez something different. According to Apple, you have to stick with T-Mobile for 45 days and then you're free to do whatever you want. In other words, you have an unlocked phone after 45 days.

My guess is that Apple's unlocked phones will be priced similarly to T-Mobile. I'll probably wait it out, I'm in no rush.