Should I wait for Apple TV 4?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bcooln, Nov 29, 2013.

1. bcooln macrumors regular

I was planning to buy apple tv because today apple has 25$ giftcard when buy an apple tv. But i heard rumor that 4th generation of apple tv will release in 2014. should i wait?

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

We are talking about a $99 item (75 if you get it refurbished).... This isn't a 1k+ computer or a $500+ iOS device. Just buy it and use it. How many threads are there going to be asking this question?!?

3. linds15 macrumors 6502a

get it enjoy it. its not a $500+ comp, worst case you move this to a second room when the 4 comes out

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

It's hard to say because there are always rumors of a new actual TV or a new set top box. The latest is this:

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/12...-or-later-but-a7-apple-tv-could-come-in-2014/

But I'd say go ahead and get one now since it's rather cheap and if they do come out with a new one next year, it'll probably still be $99 which isn't too bad

5. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

exactly what I'm thinking. Bought one the other day and it's been streaming music and video non-stop. It will find a home even if something new and shinier comes out eventually. Less than a nice dinner for two these days, and worth every penny for an Apple-centric system. No brainer for me, and just mad I waited this long. :cool:

6. decon1 macrumors member

I went ahead and got a $75 refurb one last night from Apple Store. With all the other retailers selling Ipads at great prices, I don't have use for a $25 Apple Store GC. Apple refurbs are just like new and have 1 year warranty too.

7. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Buy a refurb one as others have said. Even if the 4 comes out tomorrow, it's still worth it.

8. m1key macrumors member

I waited for the past 6 months and it wasn't worth it. Finally gave in after Apple's last media event. Apple TV 3 is a good device, and its 100 bucks. Just get the new one when it comes out. You can purchase a refurb for 75 and there are specials for a brand new one at target and best buy for around 85 bucks. Take the plunge, it's well worth it.

9. vega07 macrumors 65816

There was also a rumor about a 4th gen being released in September.

There was another rumor about it coming out in October.

At which rumor are you going to stop and think "this wait is crazy! I'm just going to buy it and enjoy it NOW."

10. bcooln thread starter macrumors regular

thanks guy. just got one from apple store yesterday with 25$ giftcard.

11. taylord22 macrumors regular

For anyone else reading this, if you're interested buy-it. If you use it to it's full ability (sharing media), you'll want another one for your secondary tv anyway.

Also, just guessing, but I'd say it's likely that eventually we'll see staggered product designs for the Apple TV. It's possible that the "AT4" everyone is asking about will be a more expensive product that doesn't necessarily replace the current "AT3".

12. Sylvan macrumors regular

I just bought my first one on Black Friday for $85 from Best Buy. Even if the ATV4 comes out, I'll have no regrets. This thing is great! I was shocked at how small it is. I may end up getting another one for the second TV.

13. frank4 macrumors regular

frank4

I'd guess an updated Apple TV would add the speed required for gaming. I was waiting for an updated version but got the current model a week ago, the Black Friday price was too hard to resist.

I have delayed installing it until next weekend, just in case a new one comes out, but it is doubtful there would be any new Apple hardware products released in December. Also I need to re-organize the TV/computer room, it's a mess of gadgets and wires, and a couple of 28" tube TVs need need removing.

14. nostresshere macrumors 68030

New apple tv is coming out in October 2013 according to many accounts.

OOPS - wrong.

15. keitarou macrumors 6502

Guys, Do the refurbs come in a retail box or is it one of those white boxes? Never bought refurb from Apple so I don't know.

16. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

i love my apple tv. seriously considering buying a second one for the exercise room. would also like an AppleTV 2 for the Van/travel.

17. dgalvan123 macrumors 6502a

Just bought a refurb ATV3 and received it the other day. It comes in a White Apple TV box that says "Apple Certified Refurbished" on the top. Identical to the retail box except for the different labeling. But yes, it is a noticeable difference in packaging.

BTW: IMHO buying refurb from Apple is a no-brainer. You get the same warranty as if you were buying brand new, but you are paying less and not drawing on more resources to churn out yet another electronics unit (i.e.: good for environment, even if negligibly so). Do it!

18. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

not only that but you all but know for sure that your refurb will work as they test all of them!