Should I wait for Gainestown?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by KBS756, Jan 27, 2009.

  1. KBS756 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2009
    #1
    I need help deciding whether i should go out and drop 6,000 (more if need be I have a good deal of savings from my work and an arrangement with my dad) on a high spec mac pro now or wait till the nehalem based xeons come out for the mac pro.

    I need a computer to render complex 3d animations as well as videos as my work is expanding and my macbook pro takes far too long to carry out these tasks.

    And my dad is willing to fund my buying a high spec mac pro (on the condition that i make him 1000 photorealistic 3d models of diamond jewelry, a time limited offer though)

    So anyway what would u advise doing ? waiting for nehalem to come out on the mac pro or going out and buying one now? (i really dont wanna go out and buy something and then have it be outdated by a whole generation in less then 6 months)

    also what would u term to be decent specs for a mac pro to run HEAVY 3ds max renderings, final cut pro in hd video edditing, adobe after effects. and programs such as these?

    is a quadro video card really worth it (one of my friends told me it would make my renderings several times faster) ? and does anyone know if the next generation of mac pros will have a 5800 instead of a 5600

    also i know noone knows for sure and there are some estimates around but do u guys thing a nehalem mac pro would be available by around june? (and would snow leopard be out by this point?)

    Thanks in advance, i did search for some answers but sorry if i repeated some questions that have already been answered by search.
     
  2. frimple macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2008
    Location:
    Denver, CO
    #3
    This is actually an easy question to answer if you look at the math of the situation.

    Let's look at the value of your investment. Computer equipment, just like cars, lose the most value as soon as you buy them brand new. I would put a fair market value on a $6k new Mac Pro at ~$4,500 (this is the value you would get if you were selling it back into the marketplace today... correct me if you think I'm wrong, but check Ebay). Let's take 15% off of that for when the new version hits the market so we're looking at $3,825 in ~6 months. This could be lower or higher but I feel it's in the ballpark.

    Assuming that you're going to be making money with this computer (that you cannot make without it) this is an easy equation.

    6,000 + 2,175 (devaluation) = 6 months work

    If this rings true and you cannot preform the work without the computer then I would say pull the trigger. However, you need to make (profit that can be re-invested) $2,175 with this computer.

    If you can do the work now that $2,175 changes from total profit that you can make to total difference in profit by being able to do things XX% faster than your current setup.

    Plug in your own numbers, but the important part to focus on is the fair market value of your asset.
     
  3. TrapOx macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2008
    Location:
    Denver
    #4
    Yes, wait. The performance difference will be significant.
     
  4. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2009
    #5
    THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWER

    can someone answer this part plz

    is a quadro video card really worth it (one of my friends told me it would make my renderings several times faster) ? and does anyone know if the next generation of mac pros will have a 5800 instead of a 5600

    i do 3d rendering thought id try an core i7 windows comp 2.9 ghz to see how fast it is ... projected time = 3 days... so i think id need more power (and patience, returned the comp thought id get a cheap stopgap for at least 3d)
    anyway also use it for video editin after effects and several other things as i have mentioned before.

    is a quadro card worth it?

    thanks again for ur replies and thx in advance for any help u can be
     
  5. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #6
     
  6. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2009
    #7
     
  7. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #8
    Definitely wait, basically Gainstown is the next generation computer.:D
     
  8. twig16 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    #9
    Absolutely

    If you wait a year there will be a faster model.
    If you wait two years there will be an even faster and more advanced model.
    If you wait 15 years ...


    Seriously, if you need to do work NOW, get the current model and get to work. Follow Umbongo's advice. Buy a refurb and save $400. Upgrade the hardware yourself (rather than through Apple) and save thousands. Invest in additions that can be ported to your next new machine (like a nice external raid array).

    then in 2010 you can sell it without taking much of a hit if you need more speed.
     
  9. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2009
    #10
    kk so well heres where things stand now
    dad basically forcing me to buy now because he wants me to make 3d models of his jewelry and render em (and i sorta need it for very intense 3d animation for some sites ima doin).

    so this is what i am thinking to do

    buy a refurb mac pro
    $4099
    3.2ghz
    500 gb
    2 gb (to which ill buy ram elsewhere and add)
    nvidia 8800gt

    and a refurbed apple cinema display

    basically around 6100 before tax

    (and in a lil while after i feel i can take the hit for selling it to upgrade i will [ill prob have the money in a couple months to do it just not the stomach to throw more money into it so soon])

    just some questions about this course of action though

    1. is there anythin bad about buying either a display or mac pro refurb
    2. does anyone know how much id loose trying to sell the mac pro back on ebay in say 6 months if i find i need to upgrade?
    3. just in general if u have any other suggestions

    thanks in advance
     
  10. Umbongo macrumors 601

    Umbongo

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #12
    1. No.
    2. Depends on buyer awareness, but assuming most people are clued up then $600-$1100.
     
  11. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2008
    #13
    But not every year is there a major architectural change..
     
  12. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #14
    Yup, basically the next generation of computers.
     
  13. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2009
    #15
    thanks for your help

    if i do this what is the wireless card or add on i get for a mac pro (dont wanna run a 40 ft cable to router)

    thanks in advance
     
  14. indiochano macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2008
    #16
    you have 3-4 months to wait....

    if you can wait that long, wait.

    if not, obviously buy it now...

    but, being so close to the launch date, id go for waiting IMHO...
     
  15. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2008
    Location:
    Boon Docks USA
    #17
    Just to give you an idea on processing time difference between a 2ghz quad core mac pro w/8gb ram vs my new 2.8 octo mac pro w/10gb ram. Using handbrak to encode a 680gb movie to avi, the 2ghz took a little over 20 minutes. The 2.8 took a little over 4 minutes. I think the current generation mac pro will server you well. I debated the same but decided to let the folks with deep pockets work out the bugs on the new mac pro's and buy a refurb 2.8. Couldn't be happier. If you can money now with the current generation, get it. Upgrade in a couple years.
     
  16. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2008
    #18
    Heh 680gb..
     
  17. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

    Dr.Pants

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2009
    #19
    Well, before you buy your display, do some research - I got something larger for the same price as a refurb off of eBay. The Doublesight DS-263N, in my opinion, is better then the ACD 23" (If that's what you're going for), but ONLY if it has the polarizer (which mine has... :D). Sucks that only one production run had them....

    But basically, I think you need an IPS monitor for your work for colour accuracy. Read up on reveiws, that's the best advice I can give. Anandtech and hardforum have some people who really know their displays, and just give them your line of work and a price point, they'll churn out a response.

    Another peice of advice I can give is do not get a TN display. Due to the fact that it cannot display the entirity of the colour gamut (or what-have-you), it dithers (i.e., displays one colour in one frame, and another colour in the next to get the "correct" colour). I think my TN panel is why I need glasses for driving.... :rolleyes:

    BTW, in case you didn't know, the ACD 23" should be an IPS panel. Still, do your research.
     
  18. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

    Battlefield Fan

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2008
    #20
    tallest skill has a really good post with lots of info on the next mac pro. I'm on my phone right now so if someone would provide a link for the op that would help!
     
  19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #21
    Here we go. ;) Thanks for the support! :cool:
     
  20. KBS756 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2009
    #22
    thanks for all the replies guys..

    i am becoming more and more sure of the fact i cannot wait every day :( even though i know thats the smarter thing to do with tech ... but i got some heavy 3d work and other work i have to do (tons of lights motion animation) as well as video editing ect and its on me now so i guess ill have to take the hit when upgrading

    got a couple questions about doing this though

    1. anything wrong with getting a 30in apple cinema display refurbished?
    2. how would i add wireless to a mac pro (not from apple but myself)?
    3. does about 12 gb of ram for this 6x2gb for around 500ish sound good ram or is there somewhere else where i could get this cheaper?
    4. has anyone installed and run windows 7 on a mac pro (if so anyone have any problems doing so)?

    I am almost sure I am going to buy a refurb now and wait 6months to a year to upgrade (or maybe even keep the refurb and buy a second one if i find the need for it).

    thanks for all the help everyone has been.
     
  21. TrapOx macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2008
    Location:
    Denver
    #23
    I corrected that statement for you.
     
  22. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2008
    #24
    Have you tried using the SEARCH feature? :rolleyes:
     

Share This Page