Should I wait for Leopard to make my purchase?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gorenut, Jun 5, 2007.

1. gorenut macrumors member

I'm definitely getting the current, newly released MacBook Pro, but not sure if I should wait for Leopard's release. I don't really need a Macbook immediately, but would definitely like it by Fall semester of school (around August or September).

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if you wait, you'll be going two months without a laptop since leopard comes out october. get the macbook pro today. enjoy your new mac today. and get a free ipod today.

3. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Just get it today and buy Leopard when Leopard comes out.
    Enjoy your mac.:)

4. gorenut thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, the fact that it also comes with a free Ipod right now may just make me get one now. How long does the Ipod deal run? I just have this gut feeling that if I get it now, I might regret it when Leopard comes out.. maybe some better rebate, etc, might come around (my school is always having good deals).

5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Buy now, then get Leopard later. You'll then have 10.4 discs just in case you ever need to rollback to a previous version.

6. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

dude maybe maybe maybe.... if you like what's out now get it. the leopard release will not cost you much through edu or regularly for that matter so get the MBP you want now with the iPod.

7. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

8. letswastetime macrumors regular

if i bought a macbook pro now and wanted to upgrade to leopard when it was released, how much would it cost? also can apple do it for me? cause i know lots of people say that you should erase everything before you load the new OS on..

9. x Shadow Dragon macrumors regular

wait until WWDC they might release something that says u can upgrade free when leopard comes out so yuou would get a free ipod also (it ends September 16th)

10. Overjoyed Worm macrumors newbie

Leopard is only $69 for students. I would get the computer and ipod now and just upgrade the OS later.

11. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

Do you really want to beta test a new OS?

Buy now, upgrade a few months after Leopard is released.

12. shu82 macrumors 6502a

shu82

Everyone quit waiting!!!!!!

This site is great for people who need to buy something in the near future. (days maybe a few weeks) But Leopard is 4 months away! Is it worth waiting 4 months to save 100 on a 3K computer? Wait until it gets bumped then buy. You will be current for oh 8 months tops.

13. klymr macrumors 65816

I decided to buy now as Leopard probably won't cost too much. Tiger is only like $70 for students right now. I can't imagine Leopard would be much more than that, would it?

Then again, we take a look at M$ and what they have done to people. Vista costs a small fourtune doesn't it? I haven't even bothered to look at prices or anything as I could care less about Vista.

14. mach macrumors regular

I am unsure whether I should wait or not as well... These updates are very tempting.

I'm currently on the boat to wait for October, for a number of reasons:

- Leopard (obviously)
    - iLife '07
    - Possible hardware speed bumps / price drops when Leopard releases

Anyone think this is likely (speed bumps when Leopard releases / iLife '07 coming out alongside Leopard... unless they skip '07)?

15. letswastetime macrumors regular

wow $70 is not bad for an upgrade. i will probably buy a mbp in july before school starts and then get leopard for Christmas :)

16. wallaby macrumors 6502

wallaby

Buy now. There will be no free Leopard upgrades at WWDC; all the hopefuls are just deluding themselves.

17. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I must agree. Buy it now and start enjoying .... :) :)

FJ

18. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

no kidding, you can wait forever for technology. this week is the best time in the next 183 days to buy a new mac the long you wait the lower value you are giving yourself as far as the lastest tech goes

19. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

Can someone confirm this (and provide a source)? That is an awesome deal! I haven't been a Mac user long enough to know this kind of stuff.

20. pieman02 macrumors regular

Yep Tiger is $69 w/ free shipping right now, which probably means Leopard will be the same when released...

Dunno if this link will work for you cause its through my educational store thing...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-50...es/software&wosid=HI25WoDNJmAB36NrMH21PUaUzlk

21. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

22. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Fast answer: Buy Now.

Slow answer: I don't think you want to wait 4 months for the next version of OSX. however, wait until WWDC next week.

23. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

2 months between june and october? American? >;D

24. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

the op said he wanted to purchase in august or september, constituting roughly a two month for leopard after purchase. i am american, and i can count.

25. gorenut thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies folks. All of you are very helpful and I genuinely appreciate it. Mac is just new territory for me since I've been using PCs since the 386/DOS days. I'll definitely atleast wait a week before purchasing or maybe decide on my purchase right before they stop offering free ipods. My school always runs deals and special offers so waiting might be beneficial.