Should I wait for Leopard to make my purchase?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gorenut, Jun 5, 2007.

  1. gorenut macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    #1
    I'm definitely getting the current, newly released MacBook Pro, but not sure if I should wait for Leopard's release. I don't really need a Macbook immediately, but would definitely like it by Fall semester of school (around August or September).
     
  2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

    siurpeeman

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Location:
    the OC
    #2
    if you wait, you'll be going two months without a laptop since leopard comes out october. get the macbook pro today. enjoy your new mac today. and get a free ipod today.
     
  3. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

    dartzorichalcos

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2007
    Location:
    Atlantis
    #3
    Just get it today and buy Leopard when Leopard comes out.
    Enjoy your mac.:)
     
  4. gorenut thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    #4
    Hmm, the fact that it also comes with a free Ipod right now may just make me get one now. How long does the Ipod deal run? I just have this gut feeling that if I get it now, I might regret it when Leopard comes out.. maybe some better rebate, etc, might come around (my school is always having good deals).
     
  5. scienide09 macrumors 65816

    scienide09

    Joined:
    May 5, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #5
    Buy now, then get Leopard later. You'll then have 10.4 discs just in case you ever need to rollback to a previous version.
     
  6. Aniej macrumors 68000

    Aniej

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2006
    #6
    dude maybe maybe maybe.... if you like what's out now get it. the leopard release will not cost you much through edu or regularly for that matter so get the MBP you want now with the iPod.
     
  7. 4np macrumors 6502a

    4np

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2005
    Location:
    The Netherlands
  8. letswastetime macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    #8
    if i bought a macbook pro now and wanted to upgrade to leopard when it was released, how much would it cost? also can apple do it for me? cause i know lots of people say that you should erase everything before you load the new OS on..
     
  9. x Shadow Dragon macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #9
    wait until WWDC they might release something that says u can upgrade free when leopard comes out so yuou would get a free ipod also (it ends September 16th)
     
  10. Overjoyed Worm macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    #10
    Leopard is only $69 for students. I would get the computer and ipod now and just upgrade the OS later.
     
  11. RojoLeo macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2007
    Location:
    Austin, TX
    #11
    Do you really want to beta test a new OS?

    Buy now, upgrade a few months after Leopard is released.
     
  12. shu82 macrumors 6502a

    shu82

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    Location:
    Rocket City, AL
    #12
    Everyone quit waiting!!!!!!

    This site is great for people who need to buy something in the near future. (days maybe a few weeks) But Leopard is 4 months away! Is it worth waiting 4 months to save 100 on a 3K computer? Wait until it gets bumped then buy. You will be current for oh 8 months tops.
     
  13. klymr macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 16, 2007
    Location:
    Utah
    #13
    I decided to buy now as Leopard probably won't cost too much. Tiger is only like $70 for students right now. I can't imagine Leopard would be much more than that, would it?

    Then again, we take a look at M$ and what they have done to people. Vista costs a small fourtune doesn't it? I haven't even bothered to look at prices or anything as I could care less about Vista.
     
  14. mach macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    #14
    I am unsure whether I should wait or not as well... These updates are very tempting.

    I'm currently on the boat to wait for October, for a number of reasons:

    - Leopard (obviously)
    - iLife '07
    - Possible hardware speed bumps / price drops when Leopard releases

    Anyone think this is likely (speed bumps when Leopard releases / iLife '07 coming out alongside Leopard... unless they skip '07)?
     
  15. letswastetime macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2007
    #15
    wow $70 is not bad for an upgrade. i will probably buy a mbp in july before school starts and then get leopard for Christmas :)
     
  16. wallaby macrumors 6502

    wallaby

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2007
    Location:
    Iowa
    #16
    Buy now. There will be no free Leopard upgrades at WWDC; all the hopefuls are just deluding themselves.
     
  17. Father Jack macrumors 68020

    Father Jack

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2007
    Location:
    Ireland
    #17
    I must agree. Buy it now and start enjoying .... :) :)

    FJ
     
  18. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2007
    #18
    no kidding, you can wait forever for technology. this week is the best time in the next 183 days to buy a new mac the long you wait the lower value you are giving yourself as far as the lastest tech goes
     
  19. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    Location:
    Redlands, CA
    #19
    Can someone confirm this (and provide a source)? That is an awesome deal! I haven't been a Mac user long enough to know this kind of stuff.
     
  20. pieman02 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2007
    #20
    Yep Tiger is $69 w/ free shipping right now, which probably means Leopard will be the same when released...

    Dunno if this link will work for you cause its through my educational store thing...

    http://store.apple.com/1-800-780-50...es/software&wosid=HI25WoDNJmAB36NrMH21PUaUzlk
     
  21. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2006
    Location:
    Redlands, CA
    #21
  22. Shanesan macrumors 6502

    Shanesan

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2006
    #22
    Fast answer: Buy Now.

    Slow answer: I don't think you want to wait 4 months for the next version of OSX. however, wait until WWDC next week.
     
  23. aliquis- macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 20, 2007
    #23
    2 months between june and october? American? >;D
     
  24. siurpeeman macrumors 603

    siurpeeman

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2006
    Location:
    the OC
    #24
    the op said he wanted to purchase in august or september, constituting roughly a two month for leopard after purchase. i am american, and i can count.
     
  25. gorenut thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 10, 2007
    #25
    Thanks for all the replies folks. All of you are very helpful and I genuinely appreciate it. Mac is just new territory for me since I've been using PCs since the 386/DOS days. I'll definitely atleast wait a week before purchasing or maybe decide on my purchase right before they stop offering free ipods. My school always runs deals and special offers so waiting might be beneficial.
     

Share This Page