Should I wait for Lion before buying MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Jun 29, 2011.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Hey guys, I've been out of the mac loop for a while (went back to a PC, thinkpad actually) but I've missed using OSX!

I'm back now and wanting to buy a 13" macbook pro (2.3GHz, might pick one up at microcenter for $999 tonight) but needing to know if I should wait for Lion?

When is Lion going to be released?

2. celticpride678

Lion will be released next month. You get a free upgrade to it, so there's no reason to wait.

3. sandylp macrumors regular

sandylp

It should be out in a matter of weeks. Otherwise, if you buy now, you'll get Lion at no charge, when it is released. If you wait, though, you'll save yourself the trouble of installing a new operating system, although it really isn't that difficult.

4. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Thanks guys, didnt know it was a free upgrade! I think I'm going to just scoop one up tonight!

So glad to be back to a mac, I really missed using it! Windows 7 is what I went back to (due to school and a lot of programs I can just use) but I can do everything I want to do on the mac too so its all good!

Now I'm trying to decide if I want to pick up a 27" cinema display or wait until a newer updated thunderbolt version is released.

5. celticpride678

Probably still going to need to install the OS yourself...they just drop a disc in the box.

6. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

I thought Lion was only going to be available in the App Store?

7. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Well, I should imagine they're going to include Lion discs with new MBPs after Lion is released.

8. celticpride678

Oh wow, I completely forgot about that. Either way, there is an OS install

9. Nocky24 macrumors member

Had this confirmed earlier in the week on live chat. Apple will allow a free upgrade to Lion for people who have bought a mac after 6/6/2011 (up-to-date program). The upgrade will be a download via app store and all you need is your serial number.

10. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

I would buy now and definitely have the option for Snow Leopard; it is still not exactly clear what the deal will be post-Lion.

Snow Leopard was a mess for plenty of applications until 10.6.2 which was about 3 months from the release. I will be keeping a clone of my Snow Leopard boot drive until Lion has some of its likely kinks worked out.