Should I wait for Lion for the new iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ohwhatanight, May 2, 2011.

  1. ohwhatanight macrumors newbie

    May 2, 2011
    I really would love to get the new iMac as soon as it comes out. Be it tomorrow, or next week or next month. But, at the end of the day, should I wait for Lion, as opposed to buying the computer and then having to buy Lion separately?

  2. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    It's up to you. Do you need your computer now, or can you wait?
  3. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a


    Nov 3, 2008
    Between Heaven and Hell
    From the way you present your answer, it looks you can wait. I am currently contemplating the idea, and I am leaning toward waiting. 1st to see customers feedback regarding the new hardware and second to get Lion for free ;)
  4. Orme macrumors member

    May 1, 2011
    I was thinking about this and I would just like to know.. what's the big deal?

    Few questions:

    Can't I just update it when Lion comes out?

    Surely it doesn't cost that much?

    Is it better to buy it pre installed than update it yourself?

    What's the big deal in waiting or buying now, is it just a matter of cost/money?

    What's the difference between getting it now and waiting?

  5. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

    Jan 18, 2011
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Not at all ... I won't be upgrading to lion straight away anyway ... I would wait a couple of months let the OS stabilise ... I'm getting the new iMac and sticking to snow leopard for a while and so should you
  6. ohwhatanight thread starter macrumors newbie

    May 2, 2011

    Well, essentially, the biggest pro to waiting till Lion comes out is that you won't have to pay the cost of the upgrade. The biggest con is that we aren't really sure when Lion is coming out (though we aren't sure when the updated iMac's are coming out either). The other biggest con is that with all new OS's, there are bugs in the beginning. Sometimes it's worth the wait, and the price for the kinks to be worked out before one upgrades. Snow Leopard is a well running OS at this point.

    A question for those who may know the the past, when a new OS has come out, did they offer it at a discount for those who recently purchased a computer?
  7. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

    Jan 18, 2011
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Whats 129$ when you are spending over 2000
  8. Orme macrumors member

    May 1, 2011
    I agree

    I've decided I'm not bothered/not going to wait for Lion to be preinstalled into the new iMacs simply because I am a new mac user, I've never owned a mac before and I want to be able to experience Snow Leopard before Lion.. Just so I have had that experience and so I can say I have experienced Snow Leopard.. Good enough reason right? :) :cool:
  9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000


    Oct 29, 2009
    Its a hundred freakin bucks.

    Just lay off starbucks and mcdonalds for a month and you got your $100 right there. (Most likely its either going to be $129, $99 or $79)

    Heres one *disadvantage* of waiting: if you get it with Lion installed, thats the oldest OS it will run. So if you have software that "breaks" in Lion but works in Snow Leo -- you cant go back.

    And this is at least the 10th post on this.
  10. Orme macrumors member

    May 1, 2011
    Oh really?

    Thanks for that, definitely going for an iMac with Snow Leopard to start off with then.

    Cheers again! :)
  11. WalcomTV macrumors member

    Mar 23, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    This made me laugh.
  12. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000


    Sep 20, 2008
    Really? That's actually something I've never paid any attention to. So if a computer is running SL one day and the next Apple sells it with Lion pre-installed the person buying the one with Lion can't stick a copy of SL in it and downgrade the OS?
  13. Orme macrumors member

    May 1, 2011
    ...That is what he said..
  14. Chupa Chupa, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011

    Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Jul 16, 2002
    1) Regardless of what snacks you give up you still are spending $100 if you buy 10.7 a la carte. If you want to actually save then wait a month when it will be included.

    2) Macs are not likely to ship with 10.7 preloaded for at least a month after 10.7 ships. If history is any guide 10.7 will be a drop-in "upgrade" disc. This time around, however, it might be a download via the Mac app store.

    No. What he means is that you can't install an OS version lower than what originally shipped on your Mac. However 10.7 is not going to be preloaded on Macs on Day 1. It will take a month at least so if you buy a Mac when 10.7 ships and it has 10.6.x preloaded then it will run 10.6.x and you can upgrade to 10.7 or not.
  15. bassanoclapper macrumors 6502


    Mar 4, 2008
    6.45% or greater :D
  16. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

    Apr 10, 2011
    Of course it is speculation, but the iMacs are most likely coming in tomorrow with all the SOLID evidence we've been getting. Usually if those who follow the Apple rumors for a while, you eventually get the "drift."

    I honestly think we'll be seeing them tomorrow. Of course, I can be proven otherwise.
  17. turbobass macrumors 6502

    May 25, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I don't mean to derail this discussion, but aside from the question of waiting for Lion is there any other STRONG reason why snagging this new hardware may bite early adopters? (With glitches, etc.?)

    I'm not saying "wait for reviews" as I am going to be getting this iMac no matter what, I mean, specifically, bugs and hardware glitches that may punish us early adopters for our envy :)
  18. Diesel-Benz macrumors member

    Apr 17, 2011
    That is false information.
  19. trip1ex macrumors 68000

    Jan 10, 2008
  20. Zeov macrumors 6502a


    Apr 1, 2011
    just buy the computer and have fun with it.. i'm sure you can afford the upgrade if you buy a 2000$ machine anyways.
  21. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816


    Apr 25, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You can wait for Lion if you're willing to accept the fact that rumors of another iMac refresh may have surfaced at that point. :)

    Seriously. Buy the iMac if you need it. Wait if you don't.
  22. old-wiz macrumors G3

    Mar 26, 2008
    West Suburban Boston Ma
    I've always followed the policy of not being one of the early adopters of a major OS release; it tends to have more bugs.

    When Snow Leopard came out, I waited till 10.6.2 or 10.6.3 (can't remember which) rather than take a chance with 10.6.0. I wanted my computers to be stable and not waste time finding out what doesn't work. Also waiting for a point release allows applications to catch up with the OS. You'd be really annoyed if your favorite 3rd party app doesn't work with the new OS.
  23. iSavant macrumors regular

    Mar 31, 2007
  24. mjsteelega macrumors newbie

    May 6, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    touch screen iMac?

    So I figured I would revive this thread with a new speculation. With some much talk of the convergence between OSX and iOS, I am very curious if the next gen iMacs will begin to incorporate touch screens? (not that I expect anyone to actually know the answer to that).

    I'm on a gen1 Intel iMac. Was the best purchase I have made in years. Still runs well, but slowing considerably as I've gone from Tiger -> Leopard -> Snow Leopard.

    But I am due for an upgrade, and my kids are old enough that they need "their own" machine so they are getting this "hand-me-down". (not bad considering my first computer was an Apple IIc! (yikes I'm old! hehe).

    So I am still 90% committed to waiting for the next gen iMacs w/Lion to make my upgrade. Anyone else what to jump on the speculation of what might be in the next machines?
  25. rockyroad55 macrumors 601


    Jul 14, 2010
    Phila, PA
    Are you a student or know one? Wait til the free iPod promotion haha. Sell the iPod and BAM! That should cover Lion.

Share This Page