Should I Wait for MWSF?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PP133, Dec 1, 2007.

  1. PP133 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2007
    #1
    Hey guys, this is my very first post. I'm sure this has been asked here before but...I really want to pick up a 15" MBP but I'm not sure if I should wait for the MWSF in January. I don't want an ultraportable laptop, I actually really like the current MBP design. However, I guess I would be a little disappointed if I bought one now and they come out with a lighter, thinner 15" MBP with SSD for roughly the same price in ~6 weeks. Are there any rumors about them reducing the size and revamping the specs on all of the current MBPs or are the rumors just about a new ultraportable 12-13" MBP?

    Thx in advance for the help!
     
  2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #2
    One man's opinion (mine) is that the design won't change, only the addition of a ultraportable SKU (or two). There is a small possibility of a speed bump, but doubtful (I don't know what newer chips Intel is offering right now that could be drop-in replacements on the SR platform).

    So "now" is my answer, unless you really don't need a new Mac until mid-January, then just hang tight to be sure.
     
  3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

    Digital Skunk

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2006
    Location:
    In my imagination
    #3
    There will hopefully be a 15" MBP coming around the corner in January. I would love to see it with the option of a SSD. I would love to see much more BTO on the pro line as well, like integrated 3G and that 32GB 1" samsung SSD that could be used as a boot drive and a regular large capacity drive. I would love to see more pro ports and possibly a new latch that makes it easier to open the thing up.

    Basically I would just wait if you don't need the machine right this minute. If you are very happy with what you have and you don't expect any updates then buy now. There is a chance nothing at all will happen at MWSF.
     
  4. PP133 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2007
    #4
    Thx for the replies, guys. I have a hard time getting things out of my head once they get in there but I think I should follow your advice and hang on until mid-January.

    Thx again
     
  5. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #5
    GL, hopefully they'll release something upgraded that you like. Be careful playing the waiting game though - If you're too picky it can last literally for years.
     
  6. PP133 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2007
    #6
    Hrmm, well, since you mentioned it...If they announce a new design mid-January, when is it available for purchase? Right away?

    I definitely am not waiting for the optimal time to purchase, I just don't want to get hosed by the release of some awesome new design in six weeks. Know what I mean?
     
  7. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

    Digital Skunk

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2006
    Location:
    In my imagination
    #7
    I do I do understand. The biggest choice to make is to wait until January when there will be a major event. Usually Apple makes their products available right away.
     
  8. rmwebs macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2007
    #8
    I was going to buy a basic MacBook in a week or so, however if there is a chance that a small(er) macbookpro will be released at MWSF08 then I'll wait. I'll also have more cash to put towards it :)

    Do they always make the product available straight away? World wide? (I'm UK based). If not, whats the usual wait time?
     
  9. PP133 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2007
    #9
    So I've been doing a TON of research on the soon-to-be happenings of Jan. 15th and have found a bunch of stuff that, at least to me, seems to be pointing towards a new MBP line, not just a new ultraportable MBP. Most of this is from macrumors and most of you probably already know all this but I'm just putting it all in one place for anyone else who may be teetering on whether to hold out or not.

    The MBP is at the end of it's cycle, it's up for a modification:
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#MacBook_Pro

    Apple orders 13.3" screens - possibly for new ultraportable:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/04/apple-orders-13-3-led-backlit-screens-for-upcoming-laptop/

    New Intel Penryn Chip due in January - possibly to go into the new MBP line:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2007/12/02/upcoming-mobile-intel-penryn-prototype-previewed/
    and
    http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/20/january-2008-macbook-pros-with-penryn-processors/
    and
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/09/19/next_gen_macbook_pro_penryn_chips_revealed.html

    Word of new high performance Samsung SSD drives:
    http://www.businesswire.com/portal/...gId=1000017&newsId=20071104005059&newsLang=en

    Rumors of new aluminum macbook designs from 9to5mac:
    http://www.9to5mac.com/apple-to-release-new-aluminum-macbooks-7456543

    The look hasn't changed since January 2006. I'm no Apple expert, but it seems to me that it could use a cosmetic change (mmm, colored aluminum)

    I also found this thread on dpreview kinda neat:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1017&message=25536243

    Here's a 9-5mac article about the disappointing modification to the MBPs in Nov (2.6Ghz option):
    http://www.9to5mac.com/macbook-update-34334566
     
  10. JFreak macrumors 68040

    JFreak

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2003
    Location:
    Tampere, Finland
    #10
    Always a good idea to wait, unless you "really need" one for something that pays you money. Wanting something is different thing and needing something is another. Wanting makes you spend money on something nice, needing makes you invest on something useful. Do you want to be spending or investing?
     
  11. PP133 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2007
    #11
    You're totally right but the reason I'm waiting is because I've found so much stuff online, rumors mostly I know, that seems to really point to a change in the MBP line come January. If it wasn't for those little bits of information, I might have already purchased it.
     
  12. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

    Digital Skunk

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2006
    Location:
    In my imagination
    #12
    It would be nice to have a complete redesign of the MacBook Pros.... I should say... it would be a refreshing sight, not that one is needed.

    I would only want them to be redesigned if and only IF:

    (1) They keep the keyboard relatively the same. The Mac Book keyboard is okay, but not great enough to make every keyboard out of it.

    (2) They find a way to add more functionality in the 17" MacBook Pro, like an extra hard drive or SSD, or something that makes it worth $300.

    (3) They find a way to add a 512MB GFX card.

    (4) They keep all the current functionality and options, yet add more BTO options.

    (5) Give us a smaller 13.3" MBP that is even smaller and lighter than the MacBook

    (6) Possibly give us a design that can carry the model into the next 5 years, like the current design.
     
  13. PP133 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2007
    #13
    I'd like to agree w/ you on the KB but I can't say that I've used the macbook one and the mbp one I've only used for a few mins at a time at the store. But I do think that the new macbook kb looks too "toyish"

    I think the SSD addition would be neat, but I can't imagine it'll be cheap (not that apple stuff usually is). Maybe just a SSD option? Like being able to upgrade to a 64GB SSD drive for ~$500?

    I would love to see different colors on the aluminum laptops...A blue aluminum or even black would look fantastic.

    I agree, 512MB video card would be sweet! But, it'll cost a fortune, I'm sure.

    The more I read about the 13.3" MBP, the more I ask "why?" I have a 12" IBM x60 that I use for work and I really dig it. It weighs ~2lbs and does not have an optical drive. I know it's only 1.3" but 13.3" doesn't seem that small. Isn't that the current size of the macbooks?
     
  14. Pressure macrumors 68040

    Pressure

    Joined:
    May 30, 2006
    Location:
    Denmark
    #14
    Frankly I don't see the point in Solid State Disks yet with their appallingly low capacity. When they reach at least 128GB, they will become interesting but only if the price is right.
     
  15. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2007
    #15
    I'd be interested in a 64gb variant for a ultra-portable (not as a drop in replacement for a MB or MBP). I can't imagine what I'd have on a tiny box that would take all that much space.

    And I'd be all over a 64gb solid state iPod.
     
  16. MattyMac macrumors 68000

    MattyMac

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2005
    Location:
    NJ/NYC
    #16
    When in doubt...ALWAYS WAIT!!! :D ...I know it can be extremely difficult.

    I'm sure if they come out with an ultra portable and it's in the same category as the MBP...they will most likely refresh the current line up.
     
  17. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

    Digital Skunk

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2006
    Location:
    In my imagination
    #17
    But by that time I am sure they will have 320GB 7200 rpm laptop drives. And a much bigger 5400 rpm option or they might just do away with that slow speed for good. It would be nice to have the option of replacing the main drive on an older laptop with a SSD, but the machines of the next few years will have the ever increasing size and reliability of the HDD. Now if they can only find a way to put two drives in the 17" MacBook Pro then I would DIE..... I mean literally FALL OUT ON THE FLOOR with excitement to stick a 64GB SSD and a 200GB+ 7200 rpm drive in that thing.

    iPod Touch with 64GB SSD for $400.... I'll take two please.

    Yes.. the MacBooks are 13.3" and I would love to see Apple make a 12" widescreen notebook for an ultraportable, unless this new machine is even smaller than I can imagine.
     
  18. Kwill macrumors 68000

    Kwill

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2003
    #18
    Since no one outside Apple really knows what will be announced at Macworld, the simple advice is if you need a 2007 tax deduction, now is the time to buy. Take comfort in the fact that you will have obtained the most powerful 2007 version of whatever Mac you select.

    2008 is a new year and may begin with a new model or it may not. If announced, it may not be immediately available. If available it may include some cutting-edge bugs that require months to work out. If you don't need a tax deduction, you can wait for whatever. If you can use something now, you have a choice of retail stores or online.
     

Share This Page