Should I wait for Nehalem?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SirJ, Apr 29, 2008.

1. SirJ macrumors member

Hey, I am looking into buying my first mac sometime fairly soon. I'm going to be a high school senior next year, so I could hang onto my old dell through the end of the school year.
    What I'm wondering is, will the Nehalem update be significant enough to wait six months? Like I said time is not a big issue, so if the new processors are going to be a substantial improvement (a la core 2 duo) then I'd wait.
    Also, would it hurt to just wait anyway and if Nehalem isn't a huge improvement get a refurb?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. SirJ thread starter macrumors member

One of the notebooks, though I'm not sure which. Would the notebook that I purchase have an impact on the decision?

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Nehlem wont be out for nearly a year, though it will be a big update (30-40% faster).

5. illidian macrumors 6502

Nahalem will be similar to the first dual core laptops in this regard.

6. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

If you can wait, then wait.

If you absolutely need it now then get it.

7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

This looks to be quite a large update and therefore would be worth waiting if you could otherwise buy it if you need it.

8. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Yes, if you can - wait. Nehalem is going to be the most significant update to the Intel cpu platform in the last 5 years at least. That said, you could be in for a long wait. It looks like you may have to wait no less than 1 year, possibly longer.

9. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

I suggest you wait for Nehalem and there will probably be Blu-ray introduced aswell.... some major additions. I have predecessor to Penryn MBP. skipping penryn then nehalem. i generally buy every other generation.