Should I wait for Nehalem?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SirJ, Apr 29, 2008.

  1. SirJ macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2008
    #1
    Hey, I am looking into buying my first mac sometime fairly soon. I'm going to be a high school senior next year, so I could hang onto my old dell through the end of the school year.
    What I'm wondering is, will the Nehalem update be significant enough to wait six months? Like I said time is not a big issue, so if the new processors are going to be a substantial improvement (a la core 2 duo) then I'd wait.
    Also, would it hurt to just wait anyway and if Nehalem isn't a huge improvement get a refurb?
     
  2. psychofreak Retired

    psychofreak

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    London
  3. SirJ thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2008
    #3
    One of the notebooks, though I'm not sure which. Would the notebook that I purchase have an impact on the decision?
     
  4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

    Eraserhead

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    Nehlem wont be out for nearly a year, though it will be a big update (30-40% faster).
     
  5. illidian macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2008
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    #5
    Nahalem will be similar to the first dual core laptops in this regard.
     
  6. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

    Dr. Dastardly

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2004
    Location:
    I live in a giant bucket!
    #6
    If you can wait, then wait.

    If you absolutely need it now then get it.
     
  7. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2007
    Location:
    Ontario Canada
    #7
    This looks to be quite a large update and therefore would be worth waiting if you could otherwise buy it if you need it.
     
  8. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

    OldCorpse

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2005
    Location:
    compost heap
    #8
    Yes, if you can - wait. Nehalem is going to be the most significant update to the Intel cpu platform in the last 5 years at least. That said, you could be in for a long wait. It looks like you may have to wait no less than 1 year, possibly longer.
     
  9. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2007
    #9
    I suggest you wait for Nehalem and there will probably be Blu-ray introduced aswell.... some major additions. I have predecessor to Penryn MBP. skipping penryn then nehalem. i generally buy every other generation.
     

Share This Page