Should I wait for new MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EGamComp, Apr 2, 2014.

  1. EGamComp macrumors newbie

    Sep 7, 2013
    Need a new computer, will have this laptop for a few years.

    I am planning on buying a MacBook Pro with retina display, but it's already been out for a while now.

    Does anyone know when a new one will come out? (Do they come out every year, like iPhones?) Should I wait, or buy one now?
  2. simon48 macrumors 65816


    Sep 1, 2010
    I'd buy now. You can easily get in it endless loop waiting for the next one and it's not like the next one is right around the corner. With Intel delaying Broadwell, there won't be a major update before October at the very earliest.
  3. twingo macrumors regular

    Jul 3, 2009
    For me it's like yesterday when i got my late 2013 macbook pro shortly after release. Its a perfect machine. What are you waiting for?
  4. dmccloud macrumors 6502a


    Sep 7, 2009
    Anchorage, AK
    Any update will be a minor refresh at best due to Intel's delays with Broadwell. I just got mine two weeks ago, and couldn't be happier with it.
  5. boast macrumors 65816


    Nov 12, 2007
  6. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020


    May 16, 2013
    Kansas, USA
    Get it now. There's not likely to be an update until October, and it will likely only be internals, maybe a few ports or a better display like IGZO. It's not like iPhone or iPad where it will be incredibly different.
  7. Asuriyan macrumors 6502a

    Feb 4, 2013
    The standard cycle is 16 months major update with a minor refresh mid-cycle. You're looking at around 11 months before a major revision.

    I'm hoping they slip Maxwell (8-series) GPUs into the June-ish model, but I wouldn't bet money on it.
  8. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

    Sep 25, 2007
    Upstate NY
    Buy it now, save some money and go refurbished if need be.

    But the choice is your's
  9. iDr0id macrumors newbie

    Mar 6, 2014
    Depends on whether or not you currently have a computer you're happy to use for the next few months?
    For me I didn't have a laptop and couldn't afford to wait for an unknown amount of months for an update so I recently bought myself a new rMBP and am very happy with it. If I already had a capable machine I would've waited for Broadwell.
  10. esco macrumors 6502


    Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I was facing the same decision and put the order in today. Like everyone has said before, it doesn't look like anything major is happening in 2014 for the MBP given Intel's updated roadmap.

    And if we're all wrong? The computer will hold it's value relatively well and you can sell it come October at a minimal loss. You could then look at the minimal loss as your fee for enjoying it for 6 months.
  11. mfldmike macrumors regular

    Jul 29, 2011
    I got the late 2013 rMBP 13" 256GB 8GB RAM Iris 5100...this is a great machine,one that should last me for a few years. Jump in it now, you'll be happier than a pig in ****
  12. No-Me macrumors 6502a

    Jul 3, 2011
    As said above, If you need a new computer now, just get it now. If you have a machine that works fine for now and will until the fall, just use that and buy a new one right after it's released. No-one knows when they will be released, but the rumors say that new MBP's are going to be released somewhere in the fall.

    But, even IF a new one will be released next month, the one you can buy today would still be very good! :)
  13. Stevi macrumors member


    Sep 25, 2012
    Whiteshell Provincial Park, Mb, Canada
    I played the waiting game when I wanted to buy an iMac. In the end I waited well over 6 months from the time I was ready and the time they were available (I finally got it in Jan 2013). When I was ready to buy a laptop I decided I wasn't going to do that again. My need was immediate and if I waited, who knew how long that would be and for what improvements. I've had my new MacBook a week and I love it. I think to right answer is something only you will know. Only you know how only you can wait. If you can manage with what you have then waiting isn't a bad thing, but if what you have is letting you down then maybe waiting isn't what is right for you. What is a dead certainly is that technology rapidly changes and as soon as you commit to one model, a new and improved one is already being developed.
  14. chelch macrumors regular

    Dec 14, 2012
    Pick the model you want and get it refurb. Or get it now. There won't be a refresh until September - November and it will be minor. It may not even happen, if the rest of the chips aren't ready by then. Only 1 of the 6 CPUs has been updated and there's nothing from Intel to say the others will be.

    The Broadwell update will happen sometime in 2015, no one knows when for sure. It will be a major update that could be really cool if DDR4 is supported and Maxwell dGPU is an option. But it's not likely until summer 2015 so there's no sense in waiting.
  15. Orr macrumors 6502


    Oct 8, 2013
  16. MCAsan macrumors 601


    Jul 9, 2012
    waiting is its own reward. There will always be a new version next year.
  17. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816


    May 15, 2009
    I've always regretted being the poor fool who sticks with something he doesn't like, postponing purchasing what I want because something better may come out.

    There's always something better. But, I'm here now, and alive now, and I want to enjoy technology; NOW!

    Buy what's out now. I guarantee you will love it more than what you are using now.
  18. MrT-Man macrumors regular

    Jan 22, 2008
    See, that's the thing -- Intel hasn't actually updated the roadmap. All we've heard are rumors. We'll likely get an update in a couple of weeks when they report their quarterly results.

    Personally I think we'll see MacBook Pros with IGZO and Broadwell in the fall. That should lead to a pretty dramatic weight reduction due to the large power savings from both. Heck, even IGZO alone should lead to a significant weight reduction (notice the difference between the iPad 4 and iPad Air?).

    That said, I just went and bought a Retina Pro 13 a couple of weeks ago because I had no choice--I couldn't afford to wait till then given my requirements for work.
  19. sixrom macrumors 6502a

    Nov 13, 2013
    The current model is an exemplary laptop. Mine's quite fast and very stable. Very light and compact for a 15" model, I highly endorse it.

    If you wait there's no telling exactly how much of an upgrade it will be. I'd buy now and enjoy the experience.
  20. hollandog macrumors regular


    Mar 13, 2014
    I would say wait if you don't really need one badly now.

Share This Page