Should I wait for potential freebies for college student Mac purchases?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HighTechRedneck, May 4, 2010.

1. HighTechRedneck macrumors newbie

The last few years Apple has given out iPod rebates and the like for students who buy a Mac for college, and I am wondering whether or not they will continue the trend this year or if I should just go ahead and buy one now. If so, when are they likely to restart this program and what would they give rebates for?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. 81Tiger04 macrumors 6502

How much are the rebates usually? What are the qualifications? I was thinking of buying a MBP soon and am wondering if it's worth the wait on the rebate.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You get the education pricing on the MBP and Applecare. You get a rebate for the cost of [usually] an 8 GB iPod touch. You can also get a rebate on a printer.

Normal education discount qualifications apply, check the Education store.

5. 81Tiger04 macrumors 6502

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. That's actually how I got my last iPod. I'd like my MBP before May 28 - So I should wait?

6. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

I am waiting for the same deal for my first MBP (and Mac) it usually starts on the last week of May to the first week of June...I waited awhile so might as well wait a little longer.

7. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

If you want to save money, obviously wait. Get the mbp of your choice with the regular education discount, a free 8gb ipod touch (after rebate), a free printer (after rebate) around the last week of May or First week of June.

8. dcoux09 macrumors member

I'm in the same boat. I just graduated however. I plan on buying through my online store, but was curious as to how the rebate mail in works. Do you have to provide documentation that you are currently in school or is it as simple as cutting the bar codes and mailing it in?

9. jonah.77 macrumors newbie

I spoke to an employee of the local Apple Store about this.

She said that if you purchase your MacBook within the two weeks prior to the rebate program's going into effect, you can bring the computer back in to the store, essentially trade it in for itself, and receive the iPod rebate along with the "new" purchase--with, naturally, no extra expense. I have actually pulled this off at another Apple Store, about five years ago.

The employee also indicated that the rebate program is likely to start at the end of May. So, if what she says applies to other Apple Stores, you should be able to purchase the MacBook by about May 16 or so, then return in a few weeks to claim the rebate. It's more of a hassle than simply waiting until June to buy the laptop, but if you need to own the computer a bit sooner than that, this policy might come in handy.

10. 2high2aim macrumors 6502

Good find, I have been waiting for a LONG time so they better have the Ipod touches lol...and this info is very reassuring because I will not wait longer than first week of May also would be nice to have it in writting...

11. 81Tiger04 macrumors 6502

I think someone mentioned that there is also a rebate for a free printer. Is the printer any good?

12. gilljoy macrumors member

yea im waiting for the rebates to start, gona buy a macbook pro ( though im torn between 13" and 15"), what ever the free thing is and a printer.

sell the free thing and the printer and hopefully bring the mbp's price down to something reasonable

13. Christina1971 macrumors regular

@81Tiger04:

I don't think Apple gives you a specific printer. It's a rebate towards the cost of a printer. Like $100 or so. If you find a printer for $100, great, it's free. (and there are some decent options available at that price.) If you want a more expensive printer, you pay the difference.