Should I wait for Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Go4EVA!, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Go4EVA! macrumors newbie

Go4EVA!

Sorry for the noob question, but I've waited patiently for the new iMacs, and I'm ready to buy one -- but now I'm wondering "what happens" when Snow Leopard is released? Will it be necessary to upgrade? How difficult is it to load a new OS? Should I continue waiting for SL before purchasing an iMac? I'd appreciate some advice from the experts. :confused:

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I deleted a previous message which did nothing to answer the question but which presumably implied that you should have searched first. Agreed, you'd have found a lot by searching, but it doesn't take much to answer your questions.

If you wait for Snow Leopard to be released, you'll not have to pay for an upgrade. If you buy a new iMac that day, it'll almost undoubtedly come with Leopard installed and a free Snow Leopard upgrade disk. If you wait a few more weeks (the exact time depends on the time it takes to sell the Leopard-installed iMacs), you won't need to install the new OS.

If you buy an iMac with Leopard (i.e., between now and when they ship with SL installed), you do not need to upgrade, and in fact it might be prudent to wait for a few months to do so, depending on how stable SL is upon release.

If you decide/need to upgrade, it is almost always a very simple process, and you will almost never lose any files but might find some apps/add-ons no longer functional. As always, it's a fantastic idea to back up your system regularly and particularly before an OS upgrade, but, unless you're quite unlucky, you should be able to insert the disk, and an hour or so later (maybe a lot less, maybe a little more) have a new OS with your old files intact. It really is as easy as inserting the disk, following a very few instructions, and having a drink (well, away from the Mac) as you wait.

If I were making the decision as to whether to wait, it'd be based upon how much I wanted a new system. The SL release is months away. I am a huge fan of Leopard, so I don't feel as though I need to wait for SL to get what I "want" out of the OS. I'd rather have all the time between now and then to learn the OS (SL will by 99% the same as Leopard from a usability point of view) and enjoy the Mac experience.

3. iSimx macrumors 6502

iSimx

I was wondering also whether I should wait for snow leopard, but after lots of research, I have decided to purchase it now and upgrade later. To upgrade just purchase the dvd from apple and when you are ready to upgrade just insert the dvd. You can either start it when the mac starts or if double click the dvd on the desktop. Then press install mac os X. It's very easy from there, your mac will restart and just follow in the instructions. You can upgrade, but it's probably best to do a new install. DON'T FORGET to backup your data just in case ;)

I recommend purchasing the imac now. You don't have to upgrade as Leopard is very good and stable. The choice is yours!

Good luck. If you need anymore help just pm me.

4. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I second the iMac purchase now. They were just bumped and there is no idea when the next bump with be. Wait until we actually see SL in action before getting excited over it because if you can save $100 (or so) then do it.

5. Go4EVA! thread starter macrumors newbie

Go4EVA!

Thank you for your time and quick response. I humbly apologize for the "personal foul" here on the forum -- I promise to do better next time. :eek:

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

No worries. :)

There are those who will claim that the answer to every question anyone could possibly ask is already on the forum somewhere. Maybe so, although the search mechanism isn't perfect (MRoogle is much better). I'm of the opinion that, for the most part, it's fine to ask questions, because if no one ever did, there wouldn't be much of a reason to keep the site open for posting. ;)

7. ColinM macrumors member

I'm actually going to disagree with the other posts in this topic. I had total hell upgrading my current iMac to 10.5. Now given this is a Power PC, and the User-installed Ram was the problem, I don't know if I personally want to upgrade the OS myself anymore. My computer was in the shop for a month, and they could barely figure it out.

I plan on purchasing a MBP after WWDC this year, and I'm hoping that Snow Leopard will be released at that time, and then I will of course, wait until it's pre-installed on all Macs until buying. This is of course assuming that Snow Leopard will come out at WWDC.

My thoughts: Wait. If you can hold out 3 months, just wait.

8. Turmoil macrumors regular

Why wait. There will always be something to wait for. Buy now, worry about snow leopard when it's available. For most OSX users, OS upgrades are trivial.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That's unfortunate. I've done maybe 15 OS upgrades over the past 7 years to various Macs, and I've never encountered a single problem. Not that no one does, but it's hardly commonplace.
    I suspect, given the current state of the OS, it's a bit farther away than that. ;)

But I hope you're right. :)